Dr Mohammad Hedayati-Kakhki
Mohammad Hedayati-Kakhki graduated in law at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran in 1990, subsequently studied for a Master’s in International Law at the University of Shiraz (Iran) in 1999. He then practised as an attorney in Iran, within both civil and criminal law, eventually achieving the status of First-Class attorney. Following completion of a PhD in Middle Eastern Politics and Law at Durham University in 2008, he was appointed as a special advisor to the Centre for Criminal Law and Criminal Justice at the University and, from 2009 until 2011, was a part-time lecturer at undergraduate and LLM level, teaching in modules on international and comparative criminal Law and Islamic law, with a general focus on Islamic Law. He also taught an LLM module on the Law of Oil Contracts.
Mohammad Hedayati-Kakhki continues his involvement in legal practice by acting as an expert in human rights and asylum cases as well as conducting research into Islamic Law, assisted by his position as a Member of the Board of Directors’ at the University’s Centre for Iranian Studies. His most recent research and publications include legal and constitutional analysis of topical Middle Eastern events as well as the general study of Islamic Law (particularly Shi’a) within the context of international law.
International and Comparative Criminal Law
Centre for Criminal Law & Justice
- Comparative criminal law, particularly consideration of Islamic and Western models of liability for serious offences.
- Comparison of legal issues and relevant human rights within the field of Iranian and Western media law, including literary licensing and censorship laws.
- Compatibility of International Human Rights standards with Islamic Law
- Legal mechanisms for reform of Islamic Law
- Hedayati-Kakhki, Mohammad. & Reza Molavi. (2009). Response to the Country of Origin Information Report. UK Border Agency.
- Hedayati-Kakhki, Mohammad. (2011). The Conflation of Provocation and Justification: An Analysis of Partial Defences to Murder in Islamic Law. In Loss of Control and Diminished Responsibility - Domestic, Comparative and International Perspectives on the Coroners and Justice Act 2009. Ashgate Publishing Ltd.
Journal papers: academic
- (Published). Various Farsi-language legal articles on private and public law.
- Hedayati-Kakhki, Mohammad. (2009). Coexistence of Democracy and Rule by Jurisconsult within the Shi’ite System of Law. Shi’a Affairs Journal 2.
- Bohlander, Michael. & Mohammad M. Hedayati-Kakhki. (2009). Criminal Justice under Shari’ah in the 21st Century – An Inter-Cultural View. Arab Law Quarterly (23).
Journal papers: online
- Hedayati-Kakhki, Mohammad. (2009). Futility of Lawful Appeal in the Iranian Election Crisis.