Dr Eleni Frantziou
Dr Eleni Frantziou joined Durham Law School in 2018, having previously been a Lecturer at the University of Westminster and a Teaching Fellow at University College London. She holds an LLB from King’s College London, an LLM from the College of Europe (Bruges), and a PhD from UCL. In 2015, she was an Exchange Scholar at Yale University. At Durham, Dr Frantziou is a member of the Human Rights Centre and teaches in the fields of public law and human rights on undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes. She has developed and convenes the LLM module 'Horizontal Human Rights', which is directly based on her current research.
Dr Frantziou's research primarily focuses on the application of human rights to private parties ('horizontal effect'), with an emphasis on questions of equality and political inclusion. She is the author of The Horizontal Effect of Fundamental Rights in the European Union: A Constitutional Analysis (OUP 2019) and of several peer-reviewed publications on this topic. Her research has been cited extensively, including by Advocates General at the Court of Justice of the European Union, EU institutions, and national courts.
Dr Frantziou’s broader research interests include the constitutional entrenchment of rights and discourse-oriented conceptions of law and democracy. She is also interested in the application and constitutional significance of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights and in the implications of its removal from UK law following Brexit.
Dr Frantziou welcomes approaches for supervision from prospective doctoral students in her areas of expertise. She is particularly interested in doctoral projects on the horizontal effect of human rights from a comparative perspective.
- UK Constitutional Law, EU Constitutional Law, Constitutional Theory, Global Constitutionalism, Cosmopolitanism, Human Rights Law, Workplace Politics, Horizontal Effect, Privacy
Durham Law School
- UK Constitutional Law
- EU Constitutional Law
- Constitutional Theory
- Global Constitutionalism
- Human Rights Law
- Workplace Politics
- Horizontal Effect
- Frantziou, E. (2019). The Horizontal Effect of Fundamental Rights in the European Union: A Constitutional Analysis. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Frantziou, Eleni (2019). The UK Constitution After Miller: Brexit and Beyond. Edited by Mark Elliott, Jack Williams, and Alison L. Young. Haywards Heath Hart, 2018. 9781509916405. Common Market Law Review 56(4): 1143-1145.
- Frantziou, E. (2018). General Principles of EU Law: European and Comparative Perspectives. European Law Review 43(3): 470-473.
Chapter in book
- Frantziou, E (2020). Is Brexit a Form of Secession? In Research Handbook on Secession. Vidmar, J McGibbon, S & Raible, L Edward Elgar.
- Frantziou, E. (2020). The Horizontal Effect of the Charter: Towards an Understanding of Horizontality as a Structural Constitutional Principle?. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies
- Frantziou, Eleni (2019). (Most of) the Charter of Fundamental Rights is Horizontally Applicable: ECJ 6 November 2018, Joined Cases C-569/16 and C-570/16, Bauer et al. European Constitutional Law Review 15(2): 306-323.
- Frantziou, E. (2019). Constitutional Reasoning in the European Union and the Charter of Fundamental Rights: In Search of Public Justification. European Public Law 25(2): 183-203.
- Frantziou, Eleni (2019). The Binding Charter Ten Years On: More Than A Mere Entreaty?. Yearbook of European Law 38: 73-118.
- Eeckhout, P. & Frantziou, E. (2017). Brexit and Article 50 TEU: a constitutionalist reading. Common Market Law Review 54(3): 695-733.
- Frantziou, E. (2015). The Horizontal Effect of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights: Rediscovering the Reasons for Horizontality. European Law Journal 21(5): 657-679.
- Frantziou, Eleni (2014). Case C-176/12 Association de Médiation Sociale: Some Reflections on the Horizontal Effect of the Charter and the Reach of Fundamental Employment Rights in the European Union. European Constitutional Law Review 10(02): 332-348.
- Frantziou, E. (2014). Further Developments in the Right to be Forgotten: The European Court of Justice's Judgment in Case C-131/12, Google Spain, SL, Google Inc v Agencia Espanola de Proteccion de Datos. Human Rights Law Review 14(4): 761-777.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Frantziou, E (2019). Administrative Formalities and Collective Disenfranchisement: the Situation of EU citizens in the UK #DeniedAvote during the European Parliament Elections 2019. UK Constitutional Law Association Blog(31 May 2019).
- Frantziou, E (2019). Joined Cases C-569/16 and C-570/16 Bauer et al: (Most of) the Charter of Fundamental Rights Is Horizontally Applicable. 19 November 2018.
- Frantziou, E (2018). ‘Mangold Recast? The ECJ’s Flirtation with Drittwirkung in Egenberger’. European Law Blog (24 April 2018).
- Frantziou, E (2018). Farewell to the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights? The Withdrawal Act and the Danger of Losing Fundamentals. UCL Brexit Blog (10 October 2018).
- Frantziou, E & Łazowski, A (2017). Brexit Transitional Period: The Solution Is Article 50. CEPS Commentaries (9 September 2017).