Dr Abir Hamdar, MA English Literature (American University of Beirut), PhD Languages and Cultures of the Near and ME (SOAS-University of London)
I have an MA in English Literature (American University of Beirut) and a PhD in the Languages and Cultures of the Near and Middle East (SOAS, University of London). Before coming to Durham in 2012, I taught at the American University of Beirut and the University of Manchester and I was also a post-doctoral researcher on the AHRC/ESRC “Islamism in Arab Fiction and Film” project at Lancaster University.
I have a primary research specialism in modern Middle Eastern literatures, film and cultures with a particular interest in questions of health, illness and disability. My monograph The Female Suffering Body: Illness and Disability in Modern Arabic Literature (Syracuse University Press, 2014) is the first major study of female physical illness and disability in contemporary Arabic literature of the Levant and Egypt from 1950 to the present. Please see the following link for further details: http://www.syracuseuniversitypress.syr.edu/fall-2014/female-suffering-body.html.
I also have an additional specialism in literature and religion, particularly literary and filmic representations of Islamism from the Middle East and North Africa. I have co-edited a collection of essays (with Lindsey Moore) entitled Islamism and Cultural Expression in the Arab World (Routledge, 2015). I also specialise in gender and postcolonial literatures and film more broadly and have published a number of articles and book chapters that explore my research interests. Finally, I am also a short story writer and playwright.
I am currently working on a new research project that extends my interests in Middle Eastern literatures, film and the medical humanities: a cultural history of cancer in the Arab world. This project is funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council as part of its Open World Research Initiative. For further details please see: https://www.dur.ac.uk/owri/subprojects/thatdisease/ and https://www.dur.ac.uk/owri/impact/cancer/
School of Modern Languages and Cultures
- Modern Middle Eastern Literatures, Film and Cultures
- Illness and Disability
- Religion and Literature/Film
- Postcolonial Literature and Film
- Hamdar, Abir. (2014). The Female Suffering Body: Illness and Disability in Modern Arabic Literature. Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse University Press.
- Hamdar, Abir (2012). Media Warfare. Review of Channels of Resistance in Lebanon: Liberation Propaganda, Hezbollah and the Media. By Zahera Harb. Middle East Journal of Culture and Communication 5.
- Hamdar, Abir (2012). Review of Contemporary Arab Women Writers: Cultural Expression in Context. By Anastasia Valassopoulos. Women: A Cultural Review, Special issue on Transnational Feminisms
- Abir Hamdar (2000). Review of In the House of Silence: Autobiographical Essays by Arab Women Writers. By Fadia Faqir. Al-Raida XVII(89).
Chapter in book
- Hamdar, Abir (Forthcoming). The Crisis of Iraqi Masculinity in Betool Khedairi's Absent. In Men in Middle Eastern Literature and Film. Ouzgane, Lahoucine Routledge.
- Bradley, A. & Hamdar, A. (2016). Imagining Islamism: Representations of Fundamentalism in the Twenty-First Century Arabic Novel. In The Routledge Companion to Literature and Religion. Knight, Mark Routledge.
- Hamdar, Abir (2015). 'Those Who Cure You Will Kill You':The Doctor and the Terrorist in Arab Fiction and Film. In Islamism and Cultural Expression in the Arab World. Hamdar, Abir & Lindsey Moore Routledge. 123-137.
- Hamdar, Abir (2003). Exile, Home and Identity: Constructing Alternative Spaces in Hamida Na'na's The Homeland. In Crisis and Memory: The Representation of Space in Modern Levantine Narrative. Seigneury, Ken Wiesbaden: Reichert. 211-222.
- Hamdar, Abir & Moore, Lindsey (2015). Islamism and Cultural Expression in the Arab World. Routledge.
- Hamdar, Abir (2014). “We are all Hizbullah now” narrating the Party of God. Journal for Cultural Research 18(2): 158-170.
- Hamdar, Abir (2012). Hassan Daoud. The Literary Encyclopedia
- Hamdar, Abir (2012). Rashid al-Daif. The Literary Encyclopedia
- Hamdar, Abir (2012). The Colour of Scrambled Eggs: A Dramatic Monologue. Medical Humanities 38.
- Hamdar, Abir (2012). The Switzerland of the Middle East: Play. MovingWorlds: Journal of Transcultural Writings 12(Special issue on Asylum ).
- Hamdar, Abir (2011). Aesthetic Visibility: Female Illness/Disability in Hasan Dawud's Makhyaj Khafif. Al-Abhath: Journal of the Centre of Arab and Middle Eastern Studies 58-59.
- Hamdar, Abir (2010). Female Physical Illness and Disability in Arab Women's Writing. Feminist Theory: Special Issue on Arab Feminisms 11(2): 189-204.
- Hamdar, Abir (2010). Representations of Women, Gender and Islamic Cultures in Films: Lebanon. Encyclopaedia of Women and Islamic Cultures
- Hamdar, Abir (2010). The Silicone Bomb: Play. Callaloo 4(32).
- Hamdar, Abir (2010). The Smell of her Urine: Short Story. MovingWorlds: Journal of Transcultural Writings 10(Special Issue, Ten Years Forward.).
- Hamdar, Abir (2009). Jihad of Words: Gender and Contemporary Karbala Narratives. Yearbook of English Studies 2009 39(1/2): 84-100.
- Hamdar, Abir (2009). The Sushi Meal: Short Story. Brand Literary Magazine 5.
- Hamdar, Abir (2008). The Hole Beside her Lady Zeinab: Short Story. MovingWorlds: Journal of Transcultural Writings, Pillars of Light: Exploring Muslim Cultures 1(8).
- Hamdar, Abir (2006). Under the Heat of the Scorching Sun: Short Story. MovingWorlds: Journal of Transcultural Writings, Telling Stories, Telling Lives 1(6).
- Hamdar, Abir (2004). Masculinity, Manhood and Machismo in Radwan el-Kashef's Film Arak el-Balah. Al-Raida XXI: What about Masculinity(104-105): 113-117.
- Hamdar, Abir (2003). The Gender Sensitive Fact File: Profiles of the Arab League Countries. Al-Raida, Special issue on Arab Women's Movements 100(XX): 93-137.
- Hamdar, Abir (2001). Marriage, Madness and Murder in Alia Mamdouh's Mothballs and Salwa Bakr's The Golden Chariot. Al-Raida
- Hamdar, Abir (2000). Women Centers in Jordan. Al-Raida 90/91(XVII-XVIII): 15-19.
- Hamdar, Abir (2014). Lecture Performance: I Want to Tell You Something. 15th EACLALS TRIENNIAL CONFERENCE 2014, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck. Performed November 1999.
- Hamdar, Abir (2010). The Silicone Bomb. Directed by Lina Abyad. 7th Creative Independent Forum in Alexandria; and the Amman International Theatre Festival AITF in Jordan.
- Hamdar, Abir (2009). The Silicone Bomb. Directed by Lina Abyad. The Lebanese American University of Beirut, Gulbenkian Theatre. Further performances at the Hamana Festival in Lebanon; the 12th International Theatre Festival at the Lebanese American University; and Madina Theater in Beirut.