Professor D J Hunter, Director of CPPH
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
David Hunter has been Professor of Health Policy and Management at Durham University since 2000 where he is director of the Centre for Public Policy and Health in the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health and a Wolfson Fellow in the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing. He is Deputy Director of Fuse, the UKCRC Centre for Translational Research in Public Health, (www.fuse.ac.uk) and lead investigator for its complex systems research programme. He is a member of the executive group for the NIHR School for Public health Research. He undertakes research on aspects of public health policy and practice, including partnership working and health system transformation. He is Programme Chair for a range of national and local leadership programmes including those offered under the title Leading Transformation of Health and Wellbeing.
Among his previous posts, from 1989 to 1999, David was Professor of Health Policy and Management at the University of Leeds, and was Director of the Nuffield Institute for Health at Leeds for most of this time. Prior to that, he worked at the King's Fund Institute in London.
David is an Honorary Member of the Faculty of Public Health, and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. From 2004-2009, he was Chair of the UK Public Health Association.
Among his various responsibilities, David is a non-executive director of the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) with particular responsibility for public health (since November 2009). He is a member of its Audit Committee. NICE was renamed the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence in April 2013. He is a member of the NIHR Health Services & Delivery Research Commissioning Board. Since June 2009 he has been an Appointed Governor of the South Tees NHS Hospitals Foundation Trust.
David holds an advisory position with the WHO Regional Office for Europe and contributed to the development of WHO’s new health strategy and policy framework, Health 2020, and accompanying European Action Plan for Strengthening Public Health Capacities and Services. Former advisory positions include the Marmot Commission on health inequalities in England (2010) and the House of Commons Health Committee and Communities and Local Government Committee.
David lectures and publishes widely on health policy and management topics. His most recent book commissioned by The Policy Press, The Health Debate, was published in September 2008 and is a critical review of current health policy in the UK. He is co-author of a review of the public health system in England, The Public Health System in England, published in March 2010 by The Policy Press. His forthcoming book, co-written with Neil Perkins, Partnership Working in Public Health, will be published by Policy Press in early 2014.David enjoys mountain bike riding and hill walking with his two dogs. Living in Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales is an ideal location for both activities. He also enjoys listening to most forms of jazz although his days of playing drums in a group in Edinburgh are sadly over.
School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health
Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
- Applied Health Research Special Interest Group
- Global Health Special Interest Group
Department of Geography
- School for Public Health Research, £180,000
School of Education
- NHS & Durham University: Spread and Embed: Investigating the adoption, transmission and evolution of healthcare processes
- European health policy
- Health care reform, UK and internationally
- Public health management
- UK health policy and management
- Hunter, D.J. & Goodwin, N. (2014). Context is everything in health leadership. Health service journal Feb: 16-17.
- Hunter, DJ (2014). The Public Health Shift Is Not Simple. Health service journal 124(6410): 16.
- Hunter, DJ (2013). To Market! To Market!.
- Hunter, D.J. (2009). Be bold with the NHS - be inspired by Cuba. Public Servant 10-11.
Book chapters: online
- Hunter, D.J. (2013). Getting knowledge on 'wicked problems' in health promotion into action. In Health Promotion and the Policy Process. Clavier, Carole & De Leeuw, Evelyne Oxford: Oxford University Press. 131-153.
- Hunter, David J (2008). Speaking Truth to Power: On the Discomforts of Researching the Contemporary Policy Process. In Organizing and Reorganizing: Power and Change in Health Care Organisations. McKee, L, Ferlie, E & Hyde, P Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 87-98.
- Hunter, D.J. & Perkins, N. (2014). Partnership Working in Public Health. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Greener, I, Harrington, B, Hunter, DJ, Mannion, R & Powell, M (2014). Reforming Healthcare. What's the evidence?. Policy Press.
- Hunter, David J, Marks, Linda & Smith, Katherine E (2010). The Public Health System in England. Bristol: The Policy Press.
- Hunter, David J (2008). The Health Debate. Bristol: The Policy Press.
- Hunter, DJ (2003). Public Health Policy. Polity Press.
- Hunter, DJ (1997). Desperately Seeking Solutions: Rationing Health Care. Longman, 1997.
- Harrison, S, Hunter, DJ, Marnoch, G & Pollitt, C (1992). Just Managing: Power and Culture in the National Health Service. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Harrison, S, Hunter, DJ & Pollitt, C (1990). The Dynamics of British Health Policy. London Unwin Hyman.
- Hunter, DJ, McKeganey, N & MacPherson, I (1988). Care of the Elderly Policy and Practice. Aberdeen University Press.
- Hunter, DJ & Wistow, G (1987). Community Care in Britain: Variations on a Theme. King Edward's Hospital Fund, 1987.
- Hunter, DJ (1980). Coping with Uncertainty: Policy and Politics in the National Health Service. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons/Research Studies Press.
- Hunter, David J (2008). Perspectives on Joint Director of Public Health Appointments. london: Improvement and Development Foundation.
- Hunter, David J (2007). Managing for Health. Routledge Health Management. Oxon: Routledge.
- Griffiths, S & Hunter, David J (2007). New Perspectives in Public Health. Oxford: Radcliffe.
- Hunter, D, Berg M, Jioks,am R & Ovretveit J (2005). Health Management Series. Routledge Business.
- Hunter, David J (2011). Memoirs of New Labour's NHS Chief (Review of the Week). BMJ 343: d6579.
- Dooris, M & Hunter, David J (2007). Organisations and settings for promoting public health. In Policy and practice in promoting public health. Lloyd, C E, Handsley, S, Douglas, J, Earle, S & Spurr, S London: Sage Publications in association with The Open University. 95-125.
- Hunter, David J (2007). Public Health Policy. In Public Health for the 21st Century: New Perspectives on Policy, Participation and Practice. Orme, Judy, Powell, Jane, Taylor, Pat & Grey, Melanie Maidenhead: Open University Press. 24-41.
- Hunter, David J (2007). Public health: historical context and current agenda. In Public Health: social context and action. Scriven, A & Garman, S Maidenhead: Open University Press. 8-19.
- Hunter, David J (2007). Values and Health Policy in the European Union. In Devolving Policy, Diverging Values? The Values of the United Kingdom's National Health Services. Greer, Scott L & Rowland, David London: The Nuffield Trust. 69-85.
- Hunter, David J (2006). Efficiency. In Constructive Conversations about Health: Policy and Values. Marinker, M Oxford: Radcliffe.
- Hunter, David J, Shishkin, S & Taroni, F (2005). Steering the purchaser, stewardship and government. In Purchasing to Improve Health Systems Performance. Figeuras, Josep, Robinson, Ray & Jakubowski, Elke Cambridge: Open University Press. 164-181.
- P. Degeling, R. Iedema, M. Winters, S. Maxwell, B. Coyle, J. Kennedy & D.J. Hunter (2003). Leadership in the Context of Health Reform: An Australian Case Study. In Leading Health Care Organizations. Sue Dopson & A. L Mark Palgrave Macmillan. 113-133.
- Hunter, David J (2003). Public Health Policy. In Public Health for the 21st Century: New perspectives on policy, participation and practice. Orme, J., Powell, J, Taylor, P, Harrison, T & Grey, M Maidenhead: Open University Press. 15-41.
Departmental working papers
- Hunter, David J (2010). Getting to grips with health inequalities at last?. British Medical Journal
- Calman, K, Hunter, David J & May, A (2004). Lost in Translation: a commentary on the implementation of the NHS Plan.
Edited works: contributions
- Hunter, David J (2009). The British NHS: back to the future? In Thinking about almost everything > new ideas to light up minds. Amin, Ash, O'Neill, Michael, Brown, Donna-Marie & Daya, Shari London: Profile Books Ltd. 207-209.
- Hunter, David J (2006). From tribalism to corporatism: the continuing managerial challenge to medical dominance. In Challenging Medicine. Kelleher, D, Gabe, J & Williams, G London: Routledge. 1-22.
Essays in edited volumes
- Wood,C, Hunter, DJ, Jeffreys, B, Britnell, M, Abrahams, D, Bambra, C, Wind-Cowie, M & Hudson, R (2013). Health in Austerity. In Demos.
Journal papers: academic
- Beenstock, J., Sowden, S., Hunter, D.J. & White, M. (2015). Are health and well-being strategies in England fit for purpose? A thematic content analysis. Journal of Public Health 37(3): 461-469.
- Hunter, D.J. (2015). Does health services research improve health services?. Health Economics, Policy and Law 10(03): 317-325.
- Hunter, D.J., Erskine, J., Small, A., McGovern, T., Hicks, C., Whitty, P. & Lugsden, E. (2015). Doing transformational change in the English NHS in the context of “big bang” redisorganisation: Findings from the North East transformation system. Journal of Health Organization and Management 29(1): 10-24.
- Hunter, D.J., Schrecker, T. & Alderslade, R. (2015). Governance for health in a changing world: special issue. Public Health 129(7): 831-832.
- Hunter, D.J. (2015). Health Policy and Management: in praise of political science Comment on “On Health Policy and Management (HPAM): mind the theory-policy-practice gap”. International Journal of Health Policy and Management 4(6): 391-394.
- Hunter, D.J. (2015). Role of politics in understanding complex, messy health systems: an essay by David J Hunter. BMJ 350: h1214.
- Rubin, G., Berendsen, A., Crawford, M., Dommett, R., Earle, C., Emery, J., Fahey, T., Grassi, L., Grunfeld, E., Gupta, S., Hamilton, W., Hiom, S., Hunter, D.J., Lyratzopoulos, G., Macleod, U., Mason, R., Mitchell, G., Neal, R., Peake, M., Roland, M., Seifert, B., Sisler, J., Sussman, J., Taplin, S., Vedsted, P., Voruganti, T., Walter, F., Wardle, J., Watson, E., Weller, D., Wender, R, Whelan, J., Whitlock, J., Wilkinson, C., De Wit, N. & Zimmermann, C. (2015). The expanding role of primary care in cancer control. The Lancet Oncology 16(12): 1231-1272.
- Marks, L., Hunter, D.J., Scalabrini, S., Gray, J., McCafferty, S., Payne, N., Peckham, S., Salway, S. & Thokala, P. (2015). The return of public health to local government in England: changing the parameters of the public health prioritization debate?. Public Health 129(9): 1194-1203.
- Hunter, D.J. (2015). The Slow, Lingering Death of the English NHS Comment on “Who Killed the English National Health Service?”. International Journal of Health Policy and Management 4.
- Hunter, D.J., Erskine, J., Hicks, C., McGovern, T., Small, A., Lugsden, E., Whitty, P., Steen, I.N. & Eccles, M. (2014). A mixed-methods evaluation of transformational change in NHS North East. Health Services and Delivery Research 2(47).
- Bambra C, Garthwaite K & Hunter D (2014). All things being equal: Does it matter for equity how you organise and pay for health care? A review of the International Evidence. International Journal of Health Services 44(3): 457-477.
- Perkins, N. & Hunter, D.J. (2014). Health and Wellbeing Boards: a new dawn for public health partnerships?. Journal of Integrated Care 22(5/6): 220-229.
- Hunter, D.J., Rushmer, R. & Best, A. (2014). Knowledge Exchange in Public Health Mini-Symposium. Public Health 128(6): 495-496.
- Scott-Samuel, A., Bambra, C., Collins, C., Hunter, D.J., McCartney, G. & Smith, K. (2014). The Impact of Thatcherism on Health and Well-Being in Britain. International Journal of Health Services 44(1): 53-71.
- Rushmer, R., Hunter, D.J. & Steven, A. (2014). Using interactive workshops to prompt knowledge exchange: a realist evaluation of a knowledge to action initiative. Public Health 128(6): 552-560.
- Hunter, DJ (2013). Health inequality and governance in Scotland since 2007. Public Health 127(6): 3, 517.
- Hunter, David J (2013). Will 1 April mark the beginning of the end of England’s NHS? Yes. BMJ 346(mar26 4): f1951.
- Hunter, DJ (2012). A European Perspective on Health Policy Issues, Tackling the Health Divide in Europe: The Role of the World Health Organization. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 37(5): 867-78.
- Blackman, Tim, Harrington, Barbara, Elliott, Eva, Greene, Alex, Hunter, David J, Marks, Linda, McKee, Lorna & Williams, Gareth (2012). Framing health inequalities for local intervention: comparative case studies. Sociology of Health and Illness 34(1): 49-63.
- McCafferty, Sara, Williams, Lestyn, Hunter, David, Robinson, Suzanne, Donaldson, Cam & Bate, Angela (2012). Implementing world class commissioning competencies. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 17(Supplement 1): 40 - 48.
- Hunter, David J & Williams, Gareth H (2012). Lost in Translation: English NHS 'reform' and the fate of the public interest. Health Equalities (1): 5.
- Hunter,David J & Perkins, N (2012). Partnership working in public health: the implications for governance of a systems approach. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 17(2): 45-52.
- Hunter, David J (2012). WHO's ambitious new European health strategy: Political will must be galvanised for Health 2020 to succeed. British Medical Journal 345: BMJ 2012;345:e5928, e5928.
- Bambra, C., Smith, K.E., Garthwaite, K., Joyce, K. & Hunter, D. (2011). A labour of Sisyphus? Public policy and health inequalities research from the Black and Acheson Reports to the Marmot Review. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 65(5): 399-406.
- Hunter, David J (2011). Change of Government: one more big bang health care reform in England’s National Health Service. International Journal of Health Services 41(1): 159-174.
- Hunter, David J (2011). Curate your own Exhibition. British Medical Journal 342: d2995.
- Hunter, David J (2011). Is the Big Society a Big Con?. Journal of Public Health 33(1): 13-14.
- Perkins, N., Smith, K., Hunter, D.J., Bambra, C. & Joyce, K.E. (2010). 'What Counts is What Works'? New Labour and Partnerships in Public Health. Policy and Politics 38(1): 101-117.
- Perkins, N., Smith, K., Hunter, D.J., Bambra, C. & Joyce, K.E. (2010). 'What Counts is What Works'? New Labour and Partnerships in Public Health. Policy and Politics 38(1): 101-117.
- Hunter, David J (2010). Commentary: Meeting the public health challenge in the age of austerity. Journal of Public Health 32(3): 309.
- Marks, Linda, Cave, S & Hunter, David J (2010). Public health governance: views of key stakeholders. Public Health 124(1): 55-59.
- Hunter, David J (2010). Should the NHS budget be ring-fenced? No. BMJ 341: 372.
- Blackman, Tim, Hunter, David J, Marks, Linda, Harrington, Barbara, Elliott, Eva, Williams, Gareth, Greene, Alex & Mckee, Lorna (2010). Wicked Comparisons: Reflections on Cross-national Research about Health Inequalities in the UK. Evaluation 16(1): 43-57.
- Blackman, T., Smith, K., Hunter, D., Elliott, E., Greene, A., Harrington, B., Marks, L., McKee, L. & Williams, G. (2009). Divergence or Convergence? Health Inequalities and Policy in a Devolved Britain. Critical Social Policy 29 (2): 216-242.
- Carr, S M, Lousier, M, Reynolds, J, Hunter, David J & Hannaway, Catherine (2009). Leadership for health improvement - implementation and evaluation. Journal of Health, Organization and Management 23: 200-215.
- Hunter, David J (2009). Leading for Health and Wellbeing: the need for a new paradigm. Journal of Public Health 31: 202-204.
- Erksine, Jonathan, Hunter, David J, Hicks, Chris, McGovern, Tom, Scott, Eileen, Lugsden, Edward, Kunonga, Edward & Whitty, Paula (2009). New development: First steps towards an evaluation of the North East Transformation System. Public Money & Management 29(5): 273-276.
- Smith, K E, Bambra, Claire, Joyce, K E, Perkins, Neil, Hunter, David J & Blenkinsopp, E (2009). Partners in health? A systematic review of the impact of organizational partnerships on public health outcomes in England between 1997 and 2008. Journal of Public Health 31(2): 210-221.
- Hunter, David J (2009). Relationship between evidence and policy: A case of evidence-based policy or policy-based evidence? Public Health 123(9): 583-586.
- Hunter, David J (2009). The case against choice and competition. Health Economics, Policy and Law 4(4): 489-501.
- Mataria, Awad Khatib, Rana Donaldson, Cam Bossert, Thomas Hunter, David J & Alsayed, Fahed et al (2009). The health-care system: an assessment and reform agenda. Lancet 373(9670) ): 1207-1217.
- Hunter, David, J. & Richards, T. (2008). Health and Wealth in Europe. British Medical Journal 336: 1390.
- Peckham, S, Hunter David, J & Hann, A (2008). The delivery and organisation of public health in England: setting the research agenda. Public Health (122): 1439-1444.
- Hunter, David J (2008). The state of the public health system in England. Public Health (122): 1042-1046.
- Peckham, Stephen, Hunter, David J & Hann, Alison (2007). The delivery and organization of public health in England: setting the research agenda. Journal of the Royal Institute of Public Health 122(1): 99-104.
- Hunter, David J (2006). The tsunami of reform: the rise and fall of the NHS. British Journal of Health Care Management 12(1): 18-23.
- Hunter, David J (2005). Choosing or losing health? Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 59(12): 1010-1012.
- Choi, B C K, Hunter, David J, Tsou, W & Sainsbury, P (2005). Diseases of comfort: primary cause of death in the 22nd century. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 59(12): 1030-1034.
- Hunter, David J (2005). Guest Editorial: UKPHA Mini Symposium. Public Health 119(11): 949-951.
- Hunter, David J & Crowley, Philip (2005). Putting the public back into public health. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 59(4): 265-267.
- Hunter, David J, Wilkinson, J & Coyle, E (2005). Would regional government have been good for your health? British Medical Journal 330(7484): 159-160.
- Hunter, David J (2004). A structural perspective on health care reform. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 9( (1): 51-3.
- Hunter, David J & Sengupta S (2004). Building multidisciplinary public health in the UK. Critical Public Health 14(1): 1-5.
- Hunter, David J (2004). Commentary: Getting a grip on clinical variations in hospital services. British Medical Journal 328(7440): 610.
- Hunter, David J & Rayner, G. (2004). Guest Editorial. Public Health 118: 461-487.
- Degeling, P, Maxwell, S, Iedema, R & Hunter, David J (2004). Making Clinical Governance Work. British Medical Journal 329(7467): 679 - 681.
- Degeling, P., Maxwell, S., Iedema, R. & Hunter, D.J. (2004). Making clinical governance work. British Medical Journal 329: 679-681.
- Hunter, David J, Walshe, K, Smith, J, Dixon, J, Edwards, N, Mays, N, Normand, C & Robinson, R (2004). Primary care trusts. British Medical Journal 329(7470): 871-872.
- Hunter, David J & Rayner, G (2004). Special Issue on The UKPHA and Congress of the World Federation of PHAs conference. Public Health 118: 461-487.
- Sengupta, S & Hunter, David J (2004). Special Issue: Building multidisciplinary public health in the UK. Critical Public Health 14(1).
- Hunter, David J (2003). Evidence-based policy and practice: riding for a fall? Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 96(4): 194-6.
- Hunter, David J (2003). Foundation hospitals: back to the future? Public Money & Management 23(4): 211-13.
- Collins, C, Green, A & Hunter, DJ (1999). Health sector reform and the interpretation of policy context. Health Policy 47(1): 69-83.
- Hunter, DJ & Fairfield, G (1997). Managed Care: Disease Management. BMJ 315(7099): 50-3.
- Fairfielda, G Hunter, DJ, Mechanic, D & Rosleff, F (1997). Managed Care: Implications of Managed Care for Health Systems, Clinicians and Patients. British Medical Journal 314: 1895-98.
- Fairfield, G Hunter, DJ , Mechanic, D & Rosleff, F (1997). Managed Care: Origins, Principles and Evolution. British Medical Journal 314: 1823-6.
- Hunter, DJ (1995). Rationing health care: the political perspective. British Medical Bulletin 51(4): 876-884.
- Hunter, DJ (1993). To market! To market! A new dawn for community care?. Health & Social Care in the Community 1(1): 3-10.
- Hunter, DJ (1992). Doctors as managers: Poachers turned gamekeepers?. Social Science & Medicine 35(4): 557-566.
- Hunter, DJ (1991). Managing Medicine: A response to the 'crisis'. Social Science and Medicine 32(4): 441-448.
- McKeganey, N & Hunter, DJ (1986). 'Only Connect … ': tightrope walking and joint working in the care of the elderly. Policy & Politics 14(3): 335-360.
- Hunter, DJ (1984). NHS Management: is Griffiths the Last Quick Fix?. Public Administration 52(1): 91-4.
- Hunter, DJ (1982). Organising for Health: the NHS in the United Kingdom. Journal of Public Policy 2(3): 253-300.
- Hunter, DJ (1979). Coping with uncertainty: decisions and resources within health authorities. Sociology of Health and Illness 1(1): 40-68.
Journal papers: online
- Hunter, DJ, Erskine, J, Hicks, C, McGovern, T, Lugsden, E, Eccles, M, Steen, N & Whitty, P (2014). Give local solutions a chance to improve care: An evaluation of the North East Transformation System contains some important lessons for future large scale change initiatives in the NHS. Health Service Journal
- Hunter,David J & Williams, Gareth H (2012). NHS "reform" in England: where is the public interest?. British Medical Journal BMJ 2012;344:e2014.
- Hunter, David J & Perkins, Neil (2012). Partnership working in public health: the implications for governance of a systems approach. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 17(Supplement 2): 45-52.
- Exworthy, Mark & Hunter, David J (2011). The Challenge of Joined-Up Government in Tackling Health Inequalities. International Journal of Public Administration 34(4): 201-212.
- Hunter, David J (2010). The impact of the spending review on health and social care. British Medical Journal
- Mataria, A, Khatib, R, Donaldson, C, Bossert, T, Hunter, David J, Alsyed, F & Moatti, J-P (2009). Health in the Occupied Palestinian Territory 5 The health-care system: an assessment and reform agenda. Lancet
- Marks, Linda, Cave, Sally & Hunter, David J (2009). Public health governance: views of key stakeholders. Public Health
Journal papers: professional
- Hunter, David J (2008). Viewpoints: Health needs more than health care: the need for a new paradigm. The European Journal of Public Health 18(3): 217-220.
- Hunter, David J & Brown, J (2007). A review of health management research. European Journal of Public Health 17(supplement 1): 33-37.
- Hunter, David J & Marks, Linda (2005). Speak Out. Health Service Journal 23: 23.
- Hunter, David J & Goodwin, N. (2004). On public health. Health Service Journal 114: 17.
- Hunter, David J & Goodwin, N (2004). Public Health - coming of age? Public Health News (24 May): 8-9.
- Hunter, David J (2004). Public Health Policy: The Issues, The Future. IFMH Inform 15(3): 1-3.
- Hunter, David J (2003). A different angle. Health Service Journal 113: 16-17.
- Hunter, David J (2003). Foundation hospital: back to the future. Spectrum 3: 4-5.
- Hunter, David J (2003). Inequality street. Health Service Journal 113: 16-17.
- Marks, Linda & Hunter, David J (2007). Social Enterprises and the NHS. Changing Patterns of Ownership and Accountability. London: UNISON.
Other publications: research
- Boyce, Tammy & Hunter, David J (2009). Improving partnership working to reduce health inequalities. http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/rticles/improving.html: King's Fund website.
- McShane, J, Cramer, S, Lincoln, P, Alessi, C, Sibley, J Hunter, DJ, Buck, D, Noble, C, Kelly, M, Blake, S, Cox, C, Whiles, S & Fenton, K (2014). Public Health in Local Government – One Year On. LGA.
- South, J, Hunter, DJ & Gamsu, M (2014). What Local Government Needs to Know about Public Health. A Local Government Knowledge Navigator Evidence Review.
- Greener, Ian, Harrington, Barbara, Hunter, David J, Mannion, Rusell & Powell, Martin (2011). A realistic review of clinico-managerial relationships in the NHS: 1991-2010. Queen’s Printer and Controller of HMSO 2011.
- Hunter, David J, Perkins, N S, Bambra, Clare, Marks, Linda, Blackman, Tim & Hopkins, Trevor (2011). Partnership Working and the Implications for Governance: Issues affecting public health partnerships. Southampton, © Queen’s Printer and Controller of HMSO 2011.
- Hunter, David J (2010). Reflections on the Use of Knowledge and Regulation: The Case of WHO and Mental Health in Europe. www.knowandpol.eu, KNOW & POL.
- Hunter, David J (2010). What makes people healthy and what makes thim ill? On-line.
- Hunter, David J, Barry, M & McCulloch, A (2008). A Review of Scotland's National Programme for Improving Mental Health and Wellbeing 2003-2006. Edinburgh, NHS Scotland.
- Hunter, David J & Marks, Linda (2005). Managing for Health; What incentives exist for NHS managers to focus on wider health issues? London, King's Fund.
- (2004). Tackling Health Inequalities: turning policy into practice? London, Health Development Agency.
- Hunter, David J (2003). Public Health Management: making it a global concern. World health Organisation.
- Hunter, DJ (1999). Managing for Health: Implementing the new health agenda.
- Hunter, DJ (1998). Investing in Health? An Assessment of the Impact of the Health of the Nation. London: The Stationery Office.
- Hunter, DJ & Coote, A (1996). New Agenda for Health.
- Hunter, DJ & Richards, H (1990). Towards a Framework for Joint Planning in Scotland. Scottish Office: Edinburgh.
- Hunter, DJ (1986). Managing the NHS in Scotland: Review and Assessment of Research Needs.
- Hunter, David J (2007). Learning from Healthy Living Centres: The Changing Policy Context. Big Lottery Fund.
Available for media contact about:
- Health & welfare services: health policy and management