Dr Duika Burges Watson
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr Duika Burges Watson is Lecturer in the Evaluation of Policy Interventions within FUSE, the Centre for Translational Research in Public Health - a UKCRC Public Health Research Centre of Excellence. Duika is a health geographer with interests in translational research and evaluation, risk perception, food choice and decision making in public health; food policy, progressive cuisine, and seaweed industries. Current research includes work with survivors of head and neck cancer exploring the potential of progressive cuisine to enhance quality of life; and current developments in UK food policy.
She is director of the Station Masters Centre, a charity supporting local residents health and well being and for the benefit of people with altered eating; and chair of the Station Masters Community Wildlife Garden.
With Johanna Wadsley she was recipient of the 2012 Neville Schulman Challenge Award with the Royal Geographical Society/Institute of British Geographers for the project Hugging the Coast.
Specialties: Food policy, knowledge exchange, wider engagement and patient and public involvement, ecological public health (and the application of geographical approaches to this), qualitative methods in health research, critical approaches to public health and risk related decision making.
Current research projects
Current research includes work with survivors of head and neck cancer exploring progressive cuisine and cooking with hydrocolloids for textural modification, an evaluation of the UK Change4life fruit and vegetable convenience store initiative and an analysis of 'choice' in UK food policy.
Duika would welcome PhD students interested in any of her research interests listed above but also:
- Self-care, functional food and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals
- Public health and marine bio-actives
- Decision making and patient and public engagement
- Evaluation of diet and physical activity interventions
- Any of the above topics in relation to Indonesia or Southeast Asia
Department of Geography
- School for Public Health Research, £180,000
- Burges Watson, DL, Lewis, S & Buckley, J (2011). John’s Cheese Sandwich: Taking on PPI, with Relish. INVOLVE newsletter (Autumn): 9-10.
Book chapters: online
- Brown, T. & Watson, D.L. (2009). Governing un/healthy populations. In A Companion to Health and Medical Geography. Brown, T., McLafferty, S. & Moon, G. Oxford: Blackwell. 477-479.
- Brooks, Sally, Burges Watson, Duika L., Draper, Alizon, Goodman, Michael, Kvalvaag, Heidi & Wills, Wendy (2013). Chewing on choice. In Why we eat, how we eat: contemporary encounters between foods and bodies. Abbots, Emma-Jayne & Lavis, Anna Farnham: Ashgate. 149-168.
Journal papers: academic
- Pending (2013). A discursive analysis of choice in UK food policy: 1976-2010. Critical Public Health Pending(Pending): Pending, Pending.
- Murtagh, MJ, Burges Watson, DL, Jenkings, Lie, M, Mackintosh, JE, Ford, GA & Thomson, RG (2012). A qualitative study of (situationally-sensitive) knowledge translation and (relational) decision making in hyperacute stroke. PlosONE
- Burges Watson, DL, Sanoff, R, Mackintosh, JE, Saver, JL, Ford, GL, Price, C, Starkman, S, Eckstein, M, Conwit, R, Grace, A & Murtagh, MJ (2012). Evidence From the Scene: Paramedic Perspectives on Involvement in Out-of-Hospital Research. Annals of Emergency Medicine 60(5): 641-650.
- Adams, Jean Halligan,Joel, Burges Watson, Duika L., Ryan, Vicky Penn, Linda Adamson, Ashley J. & White, Martin (2012). The Change4life convenience store programme to increase retail access to fresh fruit and vegetables a mixed methods process evaluation. PLOS ONE 7(6): e39431.
- Burges Watson, DL & Moore, H (2011). Community gardening and obesity. Perspectives in Public Health 131(4): 163.
- Burges Watson, D, Moreira, T & Murtagh, MJ (2009). Little bottles and the promise of probiotics. Health: an Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine 13 (2): 219-234
- Farnworth, A, Robson, S, Thomson, RG, Burges Watson, D & Murtagh, MJ (2008). Decision support for women choosing mode of delivery after a previous caesarean section: a developmental study. Patient Education and Counseling 71(1): 116-124.
- Burges Watson, D & Stratford, E (2008). Feminizing risk at a distance: critical observations on the constitution of a preventive technology for HIV/AIDS. Social and Cultural Geography 9(4): 353-371.
- Burges Watson, D, Thomson, RG & Murtagh, MJ (2008). Professional centred shared decision making: patient decision aids in practice in primary care. BMC Health Services Research 8(5).
- Burges Watson, D (2008). Public health and carrageenan regulation: a review and analysis. Journal of Applied Phycology 20(5): 505-513.
- Burges Watson, D, Murtagh, MJ, Lally, J, Thomson, R & McPhail, S (2007). Flexible therapeutic landscapes of labour and the place of pain relief. Health and Place 13(4): 865-876.
Journal papers: online
- Murtagh, MJ, Burges Watson, D, Jenkings, N, Lie, M, Mackintosh, J, Ford, G & Thomson, R (2012). Situationally-sensitive knowledge translation and relational decision making in hyperacute stroke: a qualitive study. PLOS One 7(4).
- 2013: Resources for Living (R4L) Pilot: Exploring the Potential of Progressive Cuisine for Quality of Life Improvement for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors
- 2012: Hugging the Coast: An exploration by sea kayak of liminal living in the Sangihe Archipelago, North Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 2011: Development of a patient and public involvement strategy for head and neck cancer research
- 2011: Playing with food: patient and public involvement in head and neck cancer research
- 2010: Evaluation of School Sport Partnership Dance Mat (£9766.00 from Middlesbrough PCT)