Careers and Employability
We are committed to helping you prepare for life beyond university. You will enter the workplace with knowledge relevant to careers in Psychology, plus great analytical and problem-solving skills, that are in demand from a wide range of professions.
Students who graduated in 2017:80% are in paid employment or further study 6 months after graduation.
Of those in employment:75% are in graduate level employment with a Median salary £20,000.
Many of our graduates go on to successful careers both inside and outside of Psychology. Our graduates have gone on to enjoy opportunities in further education with a PhD or Masters degree in Psychology, and have careers in areas such as Clinical Psychology, Human Resources, Law (via conversion course), Marketing Analysis, Speech & Language Therapy (via conversion course) and Teaching (PGCE Primary or Secondary).
A 2.1 or 1st class degree from Durham is accredited by the British Psychological Society as conferring eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership, which is the first step in your career as a psychologist.
From your first week at university, until after you leave, we will support you to find the right career. We offer:
- An academic advisor, who will stay with you across your 3-year degree and help you consider careers options, and provide references for you.
- The Durham Award, created to reward skill development in a way that is recognised by employers.
- A Psychology Employability Retreat: During these dedicated few days, usually held in some of the beautiful countryside around Durham, staff help students with career planning and CVs in small-group and one-to-one settings. This experience is highly rated by our students and aims to help each student find the right path for them.
- The Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre is also available to help you find suitable vacancies. The team organise talks from professionals such as Educational, Clinical and Forensic Psychologists, and are there to develop your employability skills through workshops on CVs, applications, interviews, commercial awareness, and leadership. You can continue to use this fantastic service in the year after you graduate.
- There will also be a number of graduate careers fairs attended by a wide range of recruiters.