Department of Psychology
We are amongst the Top 10 Psychology Departments in the UK with an outstanding academic staff highly rated for both teaching and research and are consistently ranked as one of the best Psychology departments for employability. In the REF 2014 ranking for Psychology, Neuroscience and Psychiatry, 83% of our research was assessed as “internationally excellent quality” or “world leading". We are a collegiate and welcoming department committed to success for all who work here. One mark of our commitment is our Athena Swan Silver Award which the department received in 2013 and was renewed in 2017.
Durham Psychology Staff secures ERC Starting Grant of £1.3m
Dr Zanna Clay has been successful in securing an ERC Starting Grant of €1,499,829 (£1,336,153) for her project: EMPORIGIN - Comparative development investigation into the Origins of Empathy.
Congratulations Dr Sarah Weber!
Dr Sarah Weber (Ustinov College) was one of eight Ph.D. candidates in our Department who received her doctoral degree during the Summer Congregation 2018 at Durham Cathedral.
(12 Jul 2018) » More about Congratulations Dr Sarah Weber!
- Durham Psychology Staff secures ERC Starting Grant of £1.3m
- Congratulations Dr Sarah Weber!
- Durham Psychology staff awarded a Leverhulme Trust Fellowship
- Durham Psychology Staff has been Appointed Next Director of NINE DTP
- PhD students win joint 1st prize for presentations at Wolfson Early Career Researcher Conference
- Joint first prize for collaborative research on mental imagery
- Congratulations Dr Hue San Kuay!
- Moseley, Peter, Alderson-Day, Ben, Kumar, Sukhbinder & Fernyhough, Charles (2018). Musical hallucinations, musical imagery, and earworms: A new phenomenological survey. Consciousness and Cognition 65: 83-94.
- Alderson-Day, B., Mitrenga, K., Wilkinson, S., McCarthy-Jones, S. & Fernyhough, C. (2018). The varieties of inner speech questionnaire – Revised (VISQ-R): Replicating and refining links between inner speech and psychopathology. Consciousness & Cognition 65: 48-58.
- Thornborrow, T., Jucker, J.-L., Boothroyd, L.G. & Tovée, M.J. (2018). Investigating the link between television viewing and men’s preferences for female body size and shape in rural Nicaragua. Evolution and Human Behavior 39(5): 538-546.
- Reissland, Nadja & Austen, Joe (2018). Goal Directed Behaviours: The Development of Pre-Natal Touch Behaviours. In Reach-to-Grasp Behavior: Brain, Behavior, and Modelling Across the Life Span. Corbetta, Daniela & Santello, Marco Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Kosaki, Y, Pearce, J. M. & McGregor, A (2018). The response strategy and the place strategy in a plus-maze have different sensitivities to devaluation of expected outcome. Hippocampus 28(7): 484-496.
'Athena Swan Silver Award'
In May 2017 the Department of Psychology was delighted to achieve the 'Athena Swan Silver Award' recognising our commitment to advancing women's careers in STEMM academia. For more information please follow link.
Research Institutes involving members of the Psychology Department: