This page is for the academic year 2021-22. The current handbook year is 2022-23
Career and Professional Skills Development
||Not available in 2021/22
||H1KC24 Energy Systems Management [Suspended for 2022/23]
Excluded Combination of Modules
- This module is designed solely for students studying on the Master of Energy Systems Management.
- To provide and develop the skills and competencies required to be employed in energy systems management positions.
- Historical perspectives on management and engineering development;
- Foundations of management development: Strategy, culture, systems, structures and learning;
- Managerial effectiveness and organisational learning;
- Management development audits and measuring management performance;
- Professional standards and qualifications;
- Development and training strategies;
- Career progression and management;
- Coaching, counselling and mentoring;
- Personal development and auditing personal effectiveness;
- Transforming learning into practice and appraising performance;
- CV development.
- Understanding of management concepts.
- Knowledge of development and training strategies for individuals and organisations.
- Understanding of effective leadership management evaluation.
- Knowledge of how to recognise the skills and development needs of others within an organisational context.
- Ability to apply concepts and techniques of management development to their own career development.
- Ability to critically appraise key concepts and techniques of management development.
- Ability appraise own skills and development needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively own qualities, skills and experience.
- Effective written communication.
- Strategic and operational planning, organisation and time management.
- Management problem solving, evaluation and analysis.
- Personal initiative.
Modes of Teaching, Learning and Assessment and how these contribute to
the learning outcomes of the module
- The module will be delivered through a combination of learning material, self-assessed exercises and a summative portfolio assignment on key topical issues, together with guided reading and learning.
- The assessment portfolio is built up over the course and students are encouraged to reflect on the links between different modules and their professional development.
- Each module element is delivered as a discrete unit, equivalent to a lecture or short lecture block. A unit normally consists of specially written material, directed reading, reflection through self-assessed assignments and guidance for further reading.
Teaching Methods and Learning Hours
|Guided learning sessions and lectures
||Typically block taught over two weeks for full time students
||Weekly sign-up sessions
||Up to 1 hour
|Preparation and reading
||Component Weighting: 100%
||Length / duration
■ Attendance at all activities marked with this symbol will be monitored. Students who fail to attend these activities, or to complete the summative or formative assessment specified above, will be subject to the procedures defined in the University's General Regulation V, and may be required to leave the University