Archive Module Description
No such Code for pgprog: X5K207
No such Code for pgprog: X3K207
No such Code for pgprog: X3K107
No such Code for pgprog: X3K409
No such Code for pgprog: X3K509
No such Code for pgprog: X3K309
EDUC56660: Postgraduate Dissertation
|Type||Tied||Level||4||Credits||60||Availability||Available in 2021/22|
|Tied to||X9K907 Education [UK]|
|Tied to||X3K807 Intercultural Communication and Education|
- EDUC 44030 Research Methods in Education
Excluded Combination of Modules
- To enable students to research an appropriate educational issue through the use of a justified research strategy and report the outcomes satisfatorily.
- The focus of the dissertation will be decided in consultation between the student and the supervisor.
- Critically appraise a body of literature related to their specialist topic;
- Apply an appropriate research approach to their enquiry;
- Apply academic and professional ethical codes of conduct in the design and conduct of their research;
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of their research approach;
- Appreciate the complexities of educational research;
- Report on the outcomes of their enquiry in a scholarly fashion.
- By the end of the module students will be able to :
- Locate and analyse independently a relevant range of educational research;
- Design and carry out an appropriate educational research study;
- Demonstrate an ability to act on feedback;
- Write a report in accordance with accepted academic conventions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrate an ability to work independently;
- Demonstrate an ability to work ethically;
- Demonstrate an ability to solve problems;
- Demonstrate an ability to manage their time effectively.
Modes of Teaching, Learning and Assessment and how these contribute to the learning outcomes of the module
- Workshops on elements of the research and writing process
- Tutorial supervision
- Resources supplied by tutors and peers
- Summative presentation to peers
- Formative feedback from tutors
- Written summative assessment of a 15,000 word dissertation
Teaching Methods and Learning Hours
|Summative Presentation||1||One day||7||■|
|Preparation, independent reading and writing||576.5|
|Component: Dissertation||Component Weighting: 100%|
|Element||Length / duration||Element Weighting||Resit Opportunity|
|Conference Abstract||300 words||5%|
|Conference Presentation||15 minutes||10%|
Dissertation proposal - 1000 words maximum. Draft dissertation material 20% minimum. All students are given regular formative feedback from the supervisor on the progress of the dissertation through tutorial discussions and the presentation of draft material.
■ Attendance at all activities marked with this symbol will be monitored. Students who fail to attend these activities, or to complete the summative or formative assessment specified above, will be subject to the procedures defined in the University's General Regulation V, and may be required to leave the University