Archive Module Description
No such Code for pgprog: X5K207
No such Code for pgprog: X9KD07
EDUC42230: Teaching and Learning in Science
|Type||Tied||Level||4||Credits||30||Availability||Not available in 2021/22|
|Tied to||X9KC14 The Practice of Education|
|Tied to||X9K907 Education [UK]|
Excluded Combination of Modules
- To promote critical understanding of, and reflection on, aspects of teaching and learning in science education.
- To introduce students to science education from a research-based perspective.
- To provide an opportunity for an in-depth investigation of a specific aspect of science education.
- Learning theories applied to science and science learning: socio-constructivism and making meaning in science classrooms.
- The development and analysis of scientific argumentation research.
- Teaching about scientific literacy: becoming â€œscientifically literateâ€.
- Misconceptions and pedagogical practice.
- The changing aims for school science: an analysis of developments in science teaching and learning practice.
- To have a critical understanding of major problems and issues in current science education.
- To have a critical understanding of current paradigms informing science education practice.
- To be able to analyse critically science education as a subject area.
- To critically analyse research relating to science education and then apply this knowledge to solve concrete problems relating to practice in a school-related context.
- Critical analysis of research literature.
- Presentation skills.
- Academic writing and communication skills.
- Critical reflective analysis.
Modes of Teaching, Learning and Assessment and how these contribute to the learning outcomes of the module
- The combination of lecture, Seminars and tutorials coupled with the summative and formative assessments of essay and presentation will ensure participants will develop the key skills associated with the module and facilitate their critical engagement with the subject knowledge and learning outcomes associated with this module.
Teaching Methods and Learning Hours
|Preparation and Reading||273|
|Component: Assignment||Component Weighting: 100%|
|Element||Length / duration||Element Weighting||Resit Opportunity|
|Assignment||5000 words or equivalent||100%|
Feedback on a presentation showing critical reflection and application of one current issue in science education to practice.
■ Attendance at all activities marked with this symbol will be monitored. Students who fail to attend these activities, or to complete the summative or formative assessment specified above, will be subject to the procedures defined in the University's General Regulation V, and may be required to leave the University