This page is for the academic year 2021-22. The current handbook year is 2022-23
Self Directed Study
||Not available in 2021/22
||X7K214 Education (Secondary)
||X6K114 Education (Primary)
Excluded Combination of Modules
- To enable PGCE students to undertake a detailed analysis of educational research specific to the themes covered by the module.
- To explore different types of educational research and the various underpinning philosophical approaches.
- The content of the self-directed study will arise from the work previously undertaken, particularly in the preceding Teaching and Learning in the Curriculum module, through explicit guidance aimed at making connections between university-based and professional school-based experiences.
- Students will be able to identify issues and discourses within the chosen school phase and subject area.
- Explore creative dimensions of Teaching and Learning.
- To develop a synthesis between theoretical and practical perspectives.
- The critical ability to work on ideas and issues independently and as part a group.
- The ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses in Key Skills and studying independently to improve them.
Modes of Teaching, Learning and Assessment and how these contribute to
the learning outcomes of the module
- Lectures around a number of specific themes, issues and approaches to small scale educational research with a specific focus on case studies. Group work activity will facilitate a more in-depth student engagement with those themes, issues and approaches, through directed readings and tutorial tasks. The format of lecture and in particular group work exercise are appropriate in enabling student to critically discuss educational research. Assessment in the form of a written assignment will provide the opportunity for students to present the extent to which they have understood and are able to engage critically with the themes and issues covered under the aims of the module.
Teaching Methods and Learning Hours
|Preparation & Reading
||Component Weighting: 100%
||Length / duration
Preliminary summary and outline of the assignment with additional critical bibliography to indicate reading undertaken.
■ Attendance at all activities marked with this symbol will be monitored. Students who fail to attend these activities, or to complete the summative or formative assessment specified above, will be subject to the procedures defined in the University's General Regulation V, and may be required to leave the University