Publication details for Prof Peter HattonJohnson, RD, Bland, SR, Mazzoli, C, Beale, TAW, Du, CH, Detlefs, C, Wilkins, SB & Hatton, PD (2008). Determination of magnetic order of the rare-earth ions in multiferroic TbMn2O5. Physical Review B 78(10): 104407.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1098-0121, 1550-235X
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.78.104407
- Keywords: X-RAY-SCATTERING; RESONANT EXCHANGE SCATTERING; POLARIZATION DEPENDENCE; NEUTRON-DIFFRACTION; PHASE-TRANSITIONS; QUADRUPOLAR; PLATES; EDGE
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We have employed resonant x-ray magnetic scattering to specifically probe the magnetic order of the rare-earth ions in multiferroic TbMn2O5. Two energy resonances were observed, one originated from the E1-E1 dipolar transition and the other from the E2-E2 quadrupolar transition. These resonances directly probe the valence 5d band and the partially occupied 4f band, respectively. First, full polarization analysis, which is a measurement of the scattered polarization as a function of incident polarization, confirmed a spin polarization of the terbium valence states (probed by the E1-E1 transition) by the Mn4+ spin density in the commensurate phase. Second, full polarization analysis data were collected in the low-temperature incommensurate and commensurate phases when tuned to the E2-E2 resonance. By employing a least-squares fitting procedure, the spin orientations of the terbium ion sublattice were refined.