Dr Ewan Hemingway, PhD, MPhys
I am currently a PDRA in the physics department at Durham, working in the soft condensed matter group. I developed my PhD thesis in Durham between 2011-2015 during which I studied a variety of fluid dynamics problems in soft matter, using a combination of analytical and numerical methods. The topics included active matter, flows in porous media, and contact line dynamics.
Centre for Materials Physics
- Theory and simulation of soft condensed matter and biological physics
- Hemingway, E.J., Clarke, A., Pearson, J.R.A. & Fielding, S.M. (2018). Thickening of viscoelastic flow in a model porous medium. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 251: 56-68.
- Hemingway, Ewan J., Kusumaatmaja, Halim & Fielding, Suzanne M. (2017). Edge Fracture in Complex Fluids. Physical Review Letters 119(2): 028006.
- Hemingway, E. J., Mishra, P, Marchetti, M. C. & Fielding, S. M. (2016). Correlation lengths in hydrodynamic models of active nematics. Soft Matter 12(38): 7943-7952.
- Kusumaatmaja, H, Hemingway, E. J. & Fielding, S. M. (2016). Moving contact line dynamics: from diffuse to sharp interfaces. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 788: 209-227.
- Hemingway, E.J., Cates, M.E. & Fielding, S.M. (2016). Viscoelastic and elastomeric active matter: Linear instability and nonlinear dynamics. Physical Review E 93(3): 032702.
- Hemingway, E.J., Maitra, A., Banerjee, S., Marchetti, M.C., Ramaswamy, S., Fielding, S.M. & Cates, M.E. (2015). Active Viscoelastic Matter: From Bacterial Drag Reduction to Turbulent Solids. Physical Review Letters 114(9): 098302.