The physics computer classroom is to be found on the East wing of the first floor of the building - it is room Ph140.
- Opening Hours: During term the classroom is open Monday-Friday from 9am to 6pm, with the exception of Wednesday afternoons, when it closes at 12:30pm. Outside term the room is usually locked, but can be opened on request. Please contact Ian Manfren if you need to use the room outside normal opening hours or outside term.
- Security: Be aware that the room is monitored by closed-circuit TV cameras.
- Computers: There about 45 modern PCs with 17 or 19 inch TFT screens. All are part of the University PC network (currently Windows 7) (through which the Unix system can be accessed, although a dual-boot system is under developement). Note that there are no wireless access points in the room at the moment.
- Printing: There is a b/w HP printer in the classroom which can be accessed from the ITS Networked PC Service or from ITS Unix.
- Logging-on: To log on to any of the PCs you must have an ITS Networked PC username and password. These are the same as for your UNIX account. To arrange an account ask the ITS Servicedesk.
- Faults: Paper for the printer should be obtained from the Level 1 Technicians. Hardware faults with the PCs should be reported to the Physics IT personnel NOT the ITS. Software is the responsibility of the ITS.
- Bookings: During Michaelmas and Epiphany terms the classroom is block booked at various times for teaching. Outside term, bookings can be arranged via Dr Metcalfe, or via the Physics General Office. Current bookings can be viewed by Physics staff via the departmental database events system.
- Temporary accounts: For conferences, Open Days etc it is possible to arrange for temporary accounts to be set up. Again, see the ITS Servicedesk, who have a form for this purpose. They must have at least 24 hours notice (preferably more!)
Please note: outside term, or at weekends, it is the responsibility of the organisers of events to ensure that the classroom is unlocked and locked at the required times.
Bookings are now handled by the departmental database events system, and can only be viewed by Physics department staff.
To book the classroom please contact Dr Metcalfe (email@example.com) or the Physics General Office.