Publication details for Professor Thom BrooksBrooks, Thom (2017). Is eating meat ethical? Think 16(47): 9-13.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1477-1756 (print), 1755-1196 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1017/S1477175617000161
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Eating meat can be ethical, but only when it does not violate rights. This requires that the ways in which meat is produced and prepared for human consumption satisfies certain standards. While many current practices may fall short of this standard, this does not justify the position that eating meat cannot be ethical under any circumstances and there should be no principled objection to its possibility.