This programme aims to give practising Managers the foundation for their formal development in this role, the programme will be delivered using a blended learning model with a combination of taught online sessions and self-directed learning. The programme is externally accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management and the learning underpinned by their MyLeadership e-learning tool.
By the end of this programme participants will understand how to:
- demonstrate the behaviours required to be a successful people leader including role-modelling the University Values and Leadership Attributes
- provide professional development support for your team members,
- apply motivation tools to ensure performance of your team is maximised
- manage conflict within a team to achieve a positive and respectful environment
- follow the policies and procedures for addressing behavioural misconduct and the mechanisms for their implementation
- look after the wellbeing of the team.
To complete the Manager Essentials programme delegates must undertake the following taught live online sessions:
- Role of the Manager at Durham
- Health and Wellbeing
- Leading Change
- Dealing with Conflict
- Developing the Team
- Understanding HR
- Managing Performance.
Prior to each taught session it is expected that delegates will watch the required Institute of Leadership and Management webinar, further details of this will be provided at the launch event.
In-house eLearning courses:
These modules have been chosen to follow recommendation 14 of The Respect Commission Oversight Group
"The Respect Commission Working Group should explore training options in consultation with DCAD and Organisational Development for staff with people management responsibilities (from Heads of Section to PIs and Directors of Research, etc.), particularly in relation to: performance management, dispute resolution/conflict management, professional development support (particularly for more junior colleagues), wellbeing, understanding of the policies and procedures for addressing behavioural misconduct and the mechanisms for their implementation."
Which of the Job Family Core Skills are supported by this programme?
Which of the Realising Your Potential Approach Behaviours are supported by this programme?
Duration and Delivery
This modular programme, taking place over six months, will incorporate live online taught sessions and completion of eLearning. The relevant online webinars should be completed prior to the taught sessions, these will run by Teams or Zoom and will be interactive. You will need a broadband connection to complete the online learning as well as access to a computer with a camera and audio capability to take part in the taught sessions (we'll need to see and hear each other).
Dates for 2021 cohort
- 1 hour 30 minutes monthly over 5 months. Dates to be announced.
This programme also requires self-directed learning, for further details of each session please click here.
How to apply
Please contact email@example.com to register your interest.