Durham gains highest-ever global ranking in Arts & Humanities
(2 October 2019)
We’ve achieved our highest-ever global ranking in Arts and Humanities in a prestigious international league table.
The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by Subject 2020 place Durham University 27th among the world’s leading universities – up three places from last year.
This is the fifth consecutive year we’ve ranked in the top 30 for Arts and Humanities in this league table.
Arts & Humanities excellence
Durham has a strong reputation and commitment to excellence in Arts and Humanities. Our successes this year include:
- Becoming the new home for the archives of John George Lambton, first Earl of Durham – otherwise known as “Radical Jack” – a political firebrand, radical reformist and leading society figure in the 1800s. The acquisition further enhances our reputation as a world-class destination for research into nineteenth century British Political history
- A celebration of the exciting and innovative culture of our Faculty of Arts and Humanities with a showcase focusing on research in creative writing, drama and music
- Reviving the works of celebrated composers Sir Hubert Parry and Sir Charles Villiers Stanford – including Parry’s oratorio Judith, performed earlier this year in London for the first time since the late 1800s.
- Exploring the work, lives and friendships of the great women philosophers Iris Murdoch, Elizabeth Anscombe, Philippa Foot and Mary Midgley through the project In Parenthesis.
- Shedding new light on cultural relations between Europe and Latin America through an exhibition on Mexico and Rome co-curated for the Museo Nacional de San Carlos in Mexico City by the Zurbarán Centre for Spanish and Latin American Art.
The THE World University Rankings by Subject 2020 look at hundreds of universities across the globe, based on teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.
The league table follows our success earlier this year in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019 when we recorded our highest ever number of subjects in the world top 100.
We’re also a world top 100 university in the overall QS World University Rankings 2020 and the THE World Reputation Rankings 2019.
Find out More
Learn more about Durham’s success in international and national league tables.