Record number of subjects in world top 100
(27 February 2019)
Durham University has recorded its highest ever number of subjects in the top 100 of a major international league table.
Eighteen of our subjects are now ranked among the very best globally in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019, up from 16 in the top 100 last year.
Ten subjects feature in the world top 50, up from nine last year.
World top ten
Three of our subjects have kept their position in the world top ten - Theology and Religion (fifth), Archaeology (sixth) and Geography (ninth).
Anthropology; Classics and Ancient History; Earth and Marine Sciences; English Language and Literature; History; Law; and Philosophy also feature in the top 50.
Accounting & Finance; Chemistry; Education; Modern Languages; Physics & Astronomy; Politics & International Studies; Psychology; and Social Policy & Administration are in the top 100.
This is the third year running that we have achieved our highest number of individual subjects in the QS World University Rankings by Subject.
Across broad subject areas, we are in the world top 50 for Arts & Humanities (42nd), while Natural Sciences is in the top 100 (82nd).
Academic & employer reputation
The QS World University Rankings by Subject are based on academic and employer reputation, research citations and the productivity and impact of the work published by academics.
A total of 1,222 institutions from 78 countries were assessed and the rankings looked at 48 subjects in five broad subject areas.
Durham is 74th in the overall QS World University Rankings 2018. We are also one of the UK’s top performing universities and are ranked fifth in the Guardian University Guide 2019, and sixth in The Complete University Guide 2019.
Find out more
- Learn more about our league table rankings;
- Discover undergraduate and postgraduate opportunities at Durham;
- Visit our departments of Theology & Religion, Archaeology and Geography;
- Find out more about the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019.
Please note at Durham University:
- Earth and Marine Sciences is called Earth Sciences;
- English Language and Literature is called English Studies;
- Modern Languages is called Modern Languages & Cultures;
- Physics and Astronomy is called Physics;
- Politics and International Studies is called the School of Government and International Affairs;
- Social Policy and Administration comes under the Department of Sociology.