Find an expert
Welcome to the Durham University Media Guide to Expertise, a resource for journalists seeking informed comment on a wide variety of topical issues.
To find an expert in a specialist area, please use the 'search' facility to search by keyword or expert surname.
Professor Daniel Newman, PhD London
Available for media contact about:
- Foreign Literature & Language: Arabic Language and Literature
- Language, Literature & the Arts: Arab media
- Politics & Society: Alterist Discourse: the West and the Arab World
- Middle eastern and Islamic studies: Alterist Discourse: the West and the Arab World
- Arabic geographical and travel literature (with special focus on Arab travellers to Europe in the 19th century)
- Arabic phonology and phonetics
- The Tunisian and Egyptian Nahda movements
- Translation and Linguistics
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, R. (Forthcoming). Arabic-English-Arabic Translation: Issues and Strategies. Routledge.
- Newman, Daniel. (Forthcoming). Rifa'a al-Tahtawi: A Nineteenth-Century Egyptian Educationalist and Reformer. Edinburgh University Press.
- Newman, D. & Husni, R. (2013). A to Z of Arabic-English-Arabic Translation. Saqi Books.
- Newman, Daniel. (2013). Images and Representations: Tunisian Travellers to Europe in the 19th Century. Beit al-Hikma.
- Newman, Daniel. (2013). The Sex Sultan's Potions: Arab Aphrodisiacs in the Middle Ages. Saqi Books.
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, R. (2008). Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader - Twelve Stories by Contemporary Masters from Morocco to Iraq. London: Saqi Books.
- Newman, D (2007). Arabic-English Thematic Lexicon. London: Routledge.
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, R. (2007). Muslim Women in Law and Society: Annotated translation of al-Tahir al-Haddad’s Imra ‘tuna fi ‘l-sharia wa ‘l-mujtama, with an introduction. London: Routledge.
- Newman, D. (2004). An Imam in Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit to France (1826-1831). London: Saqi Books.
- Newman, D & Van der Tuin, J (1993). Elsevier’s Dictionary of Ports and Shipping (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, German). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). Contemporary Iraqi Fiction. An Anthology. Banipal 33: 146-148.
- Newman, Daniel. (2007). A War of Words: Language and Conflict in the Middle East. Holy Land Studies 6(2): 220-222.
- Newman, Daniel. (2006), Arab Muslim Minorities in the European Union: The Integration Paradigm, in al-Baljali, Mahmud & Jaber, Adnan eds, 4: Ibn Zaydun: Islamic Arabic Civilization and the West. From Opposition to Partnership. Cordoba, Al-Babtain Foundation, Kuwait, 269-348.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Newman, Daniel (Published). 2nd Annual International Conference Proceedings, Language, Literature & Linguistics (L32013), 17-18 June 2013, Singapore. 2nd Annual International Conference, Language Literature & Linguistics (L3 2013), Singapore, GSTF.
- Newman, Daniel (2012). Proceedings of the 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012). 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012), Singapore, Global Science and Technology Forum.
- Newman, D & Van Campenhoudt, M (1999). Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology. Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology, Brussels, Éditions du Hazard.
Essays in edited volumes
- Newman, Daniel. (2013). The Arabic Literary Language: the Nahda (and beyond). In The Oxford Handbook of Arabic Linguistics. Jonathan Owens Oxford University Press. 472-494.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). Myths and signs of alienation between 19th-century rihlat and Europe. In Sensibilities of the Islamic Mediterranean: Self expression in a Muslim Culture from post-classical times to the present day. Ostle, Robin London: I.B. Tauris. 85-102.
- Newman, Daniel. (2005). Contrastive Analysis of the Segments of French and Arabic. In Investigating Arabic: Current Parameters in Analysis and Learning. Elgibali, A. Leiden: Brill. 42: 185-206.
Journal papers: academic
- Newman, Daniel. (Forthcoming). 19th-century Arabic Periodicals in Europe: The politics of Exile and Reformism. Abgadiyat 25.
- Newman, Daniel (2010). 19th-century Tunisian Travel Literature on Europe: Construction of Memory and the Other. Revue de l'Institut des Belles Lettres Arabes (IBLA) 73(206): 175-189.
- Newman, Daniel. (2009). Sulayman al-Hara’iri: an Early Tunisian Reformer. Cahiers de Tunisie LXII(207-208): 11-60.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). Ahmad Bey's journey to the land of the Fransis (1846). IBLA 71(201): 43-102.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). La rihlat de Suleiman al-Siyam en France en 1852: une page oubliée de l'histoire de l'Algérie. Chronos 17: 145-166.
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, Ronak (2007). Cultural Translation in the Age of the Nahda. Turjuman 16(2): 63-87.
- Newman, Daniel (2007). The European Sources of the Aqwam al-Masalik fi Ma’rifat al-Mamalik. IBLA (198): 209-228.
- Newman, D & Verhoeven, J (2002). Frequency analysis of Arabic vowels in connected speech. Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100: 77-86.
- Newman, D. (2002). Myths and Realities in Muslim Alterist Discourse: Arab Travellers in Europe in the Age of the Nahda (19th c.). Chronos 6: 7-76.
- Newman, D. (2002). The European Influence on Arabic during the Nahda Lexical Borrowing from European Languages (ta'rib) in 19th-Century Literature. Arabic Language and Literature 5(2): 1-32.
- Newman, D (2002). The phonetic status of Arabic within the worlds languages: the uniqueness of the lughat al-daad. Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100: 65-75.
- Newman, Daniel. (2002). Tunisian diplomatic representation in Europe in the 19th century: the controversy surrounding the establishment of Tunisian consulates in Belgium (1865-1866). Les Cahiers de Tunisie 181: 27-46.
- Newman, D (2001). Arab travellers to Europe until the end of the 18th century and their accounts: historical overviews and themes. Chronos 4: 7-61.
- Newman, D (2001). Italy in Arabic travel literature until the end of the 19th century: cultural encounters and perceptions of the Other. Equivalences 29(1-2): 197-234.
Journal papers: online
- (2008). Egyptian Colloqual Arabic (Cairo). Edinburgh IPA archives
- Newman, Daniel. (trans.) (Forthcoming). Sensual Delights of the Heart: A Tale of Mediaeval Arab Erotica . Saqi Books
Learn more about our expertise
Watch Durham’s academics give an insight into their research.