Publication details for Professor Tuomas EerolaVuoskoski, J. K. & Eerola, T. (2017). Explaining the enjoyment of negative emotions evoked by the arts: The need to consider empathy and other underlying mechanisms of emotion induction. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 40: 42-43.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0140-525X, 1469-1825
- DOI: 10.1017/S0140525X1700187X
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Any model aiming to explain the enjoyment of negative emotions in the context of the arts should consider how works of art are able to induce emotional responses in the first place. For instance, research on empathy and the arts suggests that the psychological processes that mediate the enjoyment of sadness and horror may be fundamentally different.