Welcome to Durham University's Department of Music, one of the leading centres in the UK for the study of Music.
We are rated as the top UK music department in the Complete University Guide 2018, and consistently appear in the top three across other leading rankings (including #1 The Sunday Times University League Table 2017, #3 Research Excellence Framework 2014).
The Department has internationally recognised research expertise in a wide variety of topics including musicology, theory and analysis, ethnomusicology, music psychology, performance, composition, and music technology.
We strive to provide innovative, research-led teaching that will assist our students to achieve their full potential as thinking, creative musicians and scholars. Our undergraduate programme mixes foundational courses with a strong emphasis on developing independent research skills and increasing choice and flexibility as you progress. Our postgraduate programme offers opportunities for higher-level study with world-leading researchers.
Durham enjoys a rich musical life: the University boasts numerous choirs, orchestras, opera, jazz and early-music ensembles, and the Department runs its own annual concert series, which attracts soloists from around the World.
The Music Department is located within the historic UNESCO World Heritage Site comprising the magnificent 11th century Cathedral and Castle. We have a distinguished tradition of scholarship stretching back to the nineteenth century, but we pride ourselves on remaining a dynamic centre of creative and intellectual innovation.
- KLANG, Durham’s own contemporary art music festival releases programme for June ‘17
- Prof Julian Horton publishes first English-language analytical monograph on Brahms' Second Piano Concerto
- Dr Simone Tarsitani video showing at Institut du Monde Arabe in Paris
- Latest performances of pieces by Dr Eric Egan in Oslo, Dublin and Basel
- Douglas Bachorik interviewed for BBC radio documentary on musical settings of sacred texts
- Prof Michelle Meinhart speaks at WW1 music research network meeting
- Department seeks Assistant Professors in Historical Musicology
- Department ranked 1st in the UK in 2018 Complete University Guide
- Interpersonal entrainment project publishes first paper
- Call for Papers: Journal special issue following ‘Geography, Music, Space’ conference
The official account of Durham University's Music Department
- RT @DurhamPsych: More great league table news: We're up to 7th (from 16th) in @guardian university guide????????.
Tweeted 4 hours ago
- RT @stpaulsschmusic: We're looking for a new Music Graduate for next year! Pls RT @MusicDurhamUni https://t.co/Z2q7uykTY2… https://t.co/Wf…
Tweeted 5 hours ago
- RT @shelly_knotts: Looking forward at #TakingSpace : Women in Electronic Music in assoc. with @MusicDurhamUni on Thursday. Talks from 10 fe…
Tweeted 10 hours ago
- RT @DurhamKlang: KLANG17 starts on 7th June with @E7Bridges SoundLab and new pieces from @MusicDurhamUni Postgrads & @eric_egan https://t.c…
Tweeted 12 hours ago