Welcome to Durham University Department of Music, one of leading centres in the UK for the study of Music. We were ranked as the top Department in 2016 (#1 The Sunday Times University League Table, #2 Complete University Guide, #3 Research Excellence Framework). The Department has internationally recognised research expertise in a wide variety of topics including musicology, theory and analysis, ethnomusicology, music psychology, performance, composition, and music technology.
We strive to provide innovative, research-led teaching that will assist our students to achieve their full potential as thinking, creative musicians and scholars. Our undergraduate programme mixes foundational courses with a strong emphasis on developing independent research skills and increasing choice and flexibility as you progress. Our postgraduate programme offers opportunities for higher-level study with world-leading researchers.
Durham enjoys a rich musical life: the University boasts numerous choirs, orchestras, opera, jazz and early-music ensembles, and the Department runs its own annual concert series, which attracts soloists from around the World.
The Music Department is located within the historic UNESCO World Heritage Site comprising the magnificent 11th century Cathedral and Castle. We have a distinguished tradition of scholarship stretching back to the nineteenth century, but we pride ourselves on remaining a dynamic centre of creative and intellectual innovation.
- Geography, Music, Space - videos available online
- Pianists Mark Knoop and Philip Thomas to perform John Cage’s Two2 in special concert
- Weekend of contemporary music concerts in MUSICON series
- Report: Church music conference organised by PhD student Enya Doyle
- Open Workshop on Interpersonal Entrainment in Music Performance
- Programme announced for Music Britain, and the First World War CNCS conference
- World première 'Amérique du Nord' by Richard Rijnvos
- Call for Papers - Music, Media and Technologies RMA Study Day
- Acclaimed Northumbrian pipes performer Kathryn Tickell to receive honorary degree
- World première 'Riflesso sull'arco' by Richard Rijnvos
Explore the frontiers of knowledge
The official account of Durham University's Music Department
- RT @eric_egan: Fantastic concert with Lachenmann, Webern, Zimmermann, Kurtag, and Stockhausen's STIMMUNG at @MusicDurhamUni last bight. Sti…
Tweeted 10 hours ago
- Weekend of concerts in MUSICON professional series, theme of SCALE. Performances in department & town hall Fri-Sun.… https://t.co/wjTaCzUkIq
Tweeted 2 days ago
- Weekend of contemporary music starts tonight with Feldman & Stravinsky from @ivesensemble & @lorelixenberg:… https://t.co/dGlQF7iBQl
Tweeted 2 days ago
- Abstract deadline next Fri 3 Mar for 'Music, Media & Technologies' @royalmusical Study Day: https://t.co/grEeA1B3S0… https://t.co/Vb1NiHxiD1
Tweeted 3 days ago