Staff in the Department of Hispanic Studies
Go to the MLAC staff pages.
Ms Marcela Reyes-Otaiza
2014 ∙ Examiner Accreditation DELE: (Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language) is the official accreditation of the degree of fluency of the Spanish Language, issued and recognised by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport of Spain. Levels A1/A2, B1/B2 and C1/C2.
2009 ∙ PGCert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education ∙ Durham University ∙ UK
2007 ∙ Teacher of Spanish as a Foreign Language ∙ Instituto Cervantes ∙ Manchester ∙ UK
November 2003 to June 2004 I was a Researcher, Curator and Artist on a project entitled: Textual and visual research: i-textual. Exhibited in the National Library, Caracas - Venezuela
2001 ∙ Licenciatura en Letras (BA Humanities) Universidad Católica Andrés Bello ∙ Venezuela. Distinction: Thesis Mención Publicación.
I have 16 years of experience as a teacher of Spanish Language, which includes teaching native and non-native speakers. After finishing a BA in Humanities at Andres Bello Catholic University (Caracas, Venezuela) I worked as a teacher of Grammar and Literature in Secondary Education and as a Teacher of Language and Communication in Higher Education at Simón Bolívar University, primarily focusing on improving communicational skills for Spanish native speakers.
As my interest in second language acquisition deepened, I started training at Instituto Cervantes in the UK as Teacher of Spanish as a Foreign Language and then joined the School of Modern Languages and Cultures at Durham University in 2007 where I completed a PGCert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education. I have been teaching in all Core Language Modules, from Ab initio to Post A-Level and from the first to the final year.
Teaching and Administrative Commitments
SPAN2111 Module Coordinator
SPAN3011 Spanish Language
Year Abroad Officer for Latin America
Target Language Research Project Supervisor
Erasmus Abroad Coordinator
- Contemporary Latin American Cinema
- Contemporary Latin American Literature
- Gender and Queer Studies
- 2015 '¿Hasta qué punto es posible ser creativo a la hora de enseñar gramática española. ELE –UK (UK Association for the Teaching of Spanish in Higher and Adult Education) University of Nottingham'.
- 2015 'Using authentic videos in the Language Laboratories with post A-level students. North East Workshop in Language Learning and Teaching. Newcastle University'.
- 2013 'La evaluación del año en el extranjero. V encuentro de profesores de ELE en centros universitarios del Reino Unido. Instituto Cervantes'.
- 2007 'Venezuela: Tierra de Gracia presented for the Instituto Cervantes/Royal Grammar School, Manchester, UK'.
- 2006 'El narrar heterogéneo de Mario Bellatín at the Latin American Studies Association Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico'.
- 2005 'Mario Bellatín: Del fotomontaje al texto at Integrated Postgraduate Programmes in Literature in Caracas, Venezuela'.