Staff in the Department of Hispanic Studies
Go to the MLAC staff pages.
Dr Axel Perez Trujillo, BA (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid - Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México), PhD (University of Alberta)
Dr. Pérez Trujillo works on the intersection between philosophy, ecology, and literature in Latin America. Drawing from research in the Environmental Humanities, his projects address the complex relationships between culture and nature as they are manifested in literature. His work has led him to complete research throughout the Americas: Canada, Mexico, and Brazil.
His first book project engages with the continental imaginaries of the plains in nineteenth and twentieth century literatures in Latin America, revealing the settler ecologies behind the metaphors of the plains as empty and barren lands. Having studied under Enrique Dussel at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), he is particularly invested in engaging with the issues raised by the Philosophy of Liberation in his environmental readings of literary texts.
He is currently working on monoculture and extractivist epistemologies in the Gran Chaco bioregion, at the borderlands between Paraguay, Brazil, and Argentina. He is invested in exploring the role of yerba mate imaginaries in Horacio Quiroga (Uruguay), Augusto Roa Bastos (Paraguay), and Hélio Serejo (Brazil).
- Latin American Ecocriticism
- Philosophy of Liberation
- Environmental Humanities
- Brazilian Ecocriticism
- Energy Humanities
- Forthcoming Imagining the Plains in Latin America: An Ecocritical Reading, Bloomsbury.
Chapter in book
- Submitted 'Exposed Insularity: Documenting an Island of Waste in Ilha das Flores by Jorge Furtado', in (ed.), The Film Archipelago, Bloomsbury.
- Submitted 'Fleeing Ilex Paraguariensis: Yerba Mate Plantations in Horacio Quiroga and Augusto Roa Bastos', in (ed.), Plotting the Crisis: World-Ecology, World-Culture and the World-Food-System.
- 2018 (co-authored with Pelettier-Gagnon, Jérémie) 'Colonizing Pepe: Internet Memes as Cyberplaces', Space and Culture Journal pp. 1-15
- 2018 'Infinitesimal Poetics of the Sedimented Ground: The Pantanal in Manoel de Barros', Mosaic: An Interdisciplinary Critical Journal 51, pp. 71-87
- 2017 (co-authored with Perez-Trujillo, Axel) 'Galgos en el llano: La ecología oscura del campo en Intemperie de Jesús Carrasco', Letras Hispanas 13, pp. 244-254
- 2017 'Photographed Metaphors: Meaning, Reference, and Translation in Manoel de Barros', TranscUlturAl 9, pp. 105-122
- 2016 'Postcolonial Ecologies: The Cross-Pollination of Postcolonial and Environmental Studies', The Trumpeter Journal of Ecosophy 32.
- 2015 'Filosofar con el pulso ardiendo: El trasvase poético de Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez', Bajo Palabra 10, pp. 315-323
- 2015 'La Pampa y sus hijos: el problema de la extensión en la literatura gauchesca', Entrehojas: Revista de Estudios Hispánicos 5, 4.
- 2013 'El Nietzsche de Walter Kaufmann', Estudios Nietzsche 13, pp. 107-118