Modern Languages Research Seminars 2014-15
Friday 1 August 2014
- CONFERENCE CALL FOR PAPERS: The Business of War Photography: Producing and Consuming Images of Conflict
Tuesday 9 September 2014
- Interdisciplinary Conference - Taboo II organised by Durham University and the University of Bologna
Monday 15 September 2014
- 'The role of translation in language learning and teaching' - 2nd Joint Durham/Newcastle Language Learning and Teaching Workshop
- International Conference 'Interprofessional and Interdisciplinary Relations in Russia'
Saturday 20 September 2014
Sunday 21 September 2014
Monday 22 September 2014
- Transnationalism Research Group - Hilary Chung (Auckland): ‘The Dislocating Migrant as an Agent of Transposition in Segre's Io sono Li (Shun Li and the Poet) and Borensztein's Un Cuento Chino (Chinese Takeaway)
Thursday 25 September 2014
Saturday 4 October 2014
Friday 10 October 2014
- Public Lecture by Professor Shion Kono [Sophia University, Tokyo]: Reading Japanese Literature through the Lens of Area Studies
Wednesday 22 October 2014
Thursday 23 October 2014
- Symposium: Paintings of the Spanish Golden Age: The Collections of County Durham
- Russian Seminar: Professor Luba Golburt [University of California, Berkeley] 'The First Epoch. The Eighteenth Century and the Russian Cultural Imagination'
Friday 24 October 2014
Saturday 25 October 2014
Tuesday 28 October 2014
- IAS Emergence of Experience Workshop: Dr Christopher Lawless [Durham University] 'Climate change resilience: socio-ecological systems and livelihoods' & Dr Andrew Baldwin [Durham University] 'Resilience and race'
Wednesday 29 October 2014
- Centre for Visual Arts & Culture/Ecologies and the Arts Research Group present a workshop with Professor Imre Szeman [Canada Research Chair, University of Alberta]: Fuelling Culture
- First Annual Lecture in Environments and Visual Culture
Friday 31 October 2014
Wednesday 5 November 2014
- Translation & Linguistics Research Group: Angus Turvill 'From North East Japan to North East England'
Thursday 6 November 2014
Monday 10 November 2014
- IAS Emergence of Experience Lecture: Professor David Herman [Durham University] 'Metamorphic emergence: narrative modelling of species transformations'
Tuesday 11 November 2014
- IAS Emergence of Experience Workshop: Dr Marco Bernini 'Submerging minds: features and principles of Beckett's broken emergencies' & Mrs Rebecca Bitenc 'Emergent forms of dementia narratives: media-conscious narratology and the Medical Humanities'
- Transnationalism Research Group Seminar: Lauren Clay, Vanderbilt University 'The Empire of Theatre: Cultural Aspirations and Racial Tensions in French Colonial Playhouses during the Late Old Regime'
Wednesday 12 November 2014
- Seminar in Spanish: Cristóbal Ramírez 'El Camino de Santiago, un producto del pasado con futuro. Génesis y gastronomía en el Camino de Santiago
- Russian World Centre: Professor Henrietta Mondry [University of Canterbury, NZ] 'How to read dogs in Russian literature and culture'
Friday 14 November 2014
Tuesday 18 November 2014
- IMEMS Limits of the Human Seminar Series: Dr Yari Perez Marin [Durham University] 'Hands of God: Evangelisation and Visual Representation in Juan de la Cruz's Doctrina Christiana'
Wednesday 19 November 2014
- Centre for Humanities Innovation Reading Group
- Finalists in Modern Languages & Cultures - are you considering postgraduate research?
- Russian World Centre: Diana Arbenina, Russian rock musician, poet and writer, will present her new book of poetry and prose, perform some of her songs and talk to her Durham audience
- Transnationalism Research Group Roundtable Presentations
Thursday 20 November 2014
- Reading Group hosted by the Justice and the Arts Research Group in conjunction with Ecology and the Arts Research Group
- MLAC PGR Forum: Writing a Thesis/Finishing a Thesis
Friday 21 November 2014
Wednesday 26 November 2014
Thursday 27 November 2014
- Ecology and the Arts Research Group Discussion: Daniel Grausam [Dept of English] 'The radioactive Everyday' and Simone Abram [Durham] 'The great paradox in Arctic Environmental Tourism'
- Centre for Humanities Innovation Lecture: Vitaly Komar 'Collaboration with Animals in Art: Sots-art and Conceptual Eclecticism'
Saturday 29 November 2014
Tuesday 2 December 2014
Wednesday 3 December 2014
- Translation & Linguistics Research Group: Ronan Malt ‘Hitting the back of the net’ as a Football Interpreter'
- Russian Seminar: Dr Andy Byford 'Parent-Child Relations in Russian and Soviet Cinema'
Thursday 4 December 2014
Thursday 11 December 2014
- Spanish Art Lecture at The Bowes Museum: Dr Peter Cherry, Trinity College, Dublin 'Objects and Objectives in the Still-life Paintings of Juan van der Hamen'
Monday 15 December 2014
- IAS Emergence of Experience Lecture: Professor Graham Harman [American University in Cairo] 'The flat ontology of emergence' [A co-production with the Centre for Medical Humanities]
Tuesday 16 December 2014
- IAS Emergence of Experience Workshop: Professor Graham Harman [Durham University] 'The chemical philosophy of Manuel DeLanda' [A co-production with the Centre for Medical Humanities]
Wednesday 14 January 2015
- Translation & Linguistics Research Group: Dr Emilia Inglesias Fernandez [Universidad de Granada] 'Introduction to Consecutive Interpreting: Note-taking or Not-taking?'
Thursday 15 January 2015
- Spanish Art in County Durham: Dr Marjorie Trusted [Senior Curator of Sculpture at the Victoria and Albert Museum] 'Attitudes to Spanish Sculpture in the 19th Century'
Monday 19 January 2015
- IAS Emergence of Experience Lecture: Bernard Stiegler [Head of the Institut de recherche et d'innovation] 'What is the anthropocene? Or, negu-anthropology as new critique of anthropology, both philosophical and scientific'
Tuesday 20 January 2015
- IAS Emergence of Experience Workshop: Bernard Stiegler 'The Anthropocene and the crisis of the human'
- Justice and the Arts Research Group (in conjunction with Ecologies and the Arts): Film Screening 'Bhopali' (2011), directed by Van Maximilian Carlson
- Digital Studies Research Group: Debate with Katherine Hayles and Bernard Stiegler 'The emergence of a paradigm for the humanities'
Wednesday 21 January 2015
- Centre for Visual Arts and Culture Workshop for Postgraduate Researchers: 'Working across Disciplinary Boundaries: Artists, Academics and Public Engagement'
- Open Afternoon for New Postgraduate Programmes in Visual Arts and Culture
- Centre for Visual Arts and Culture Public Lecture: Professor Christopher Brown 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum'
Tuesday 27 January 2015
- Music Dept Postgraduate Seminar Series: Dr Samuel Llano [Durham University] 'Sounding Marginality and Social Disorder: The Battle for Madrid's Soundscape, 1850-1930'
Wednesday 28 January 2015
- Transnationalism Research Group: Dr. Nathalie Segeral (University of Hawaii-Mānoa), 'Between Remembering and Forgetting: (Non-)Motherhood and Immigration in Cécile Wajsbrot and Linda Lê'
Thursday 29 January 2015
- Ecology and the Arts and Justice and the Arts Research Groups present: Dr von der Walde (Universidad Javeriana and Instituto Caro y Cuervo, Colombia) 'La vorágine and extractivism in the Amazon rainforest'
Monday 2 February 2015
Wednesday 4 February 2015
- Translation and Linguistics Research Group Seminar: John Evans [visiting translator from Directorate General for Translation Luxembourg] ‘Translating for the EU Institutions: tools and resources’
Friday 6 February 2015
- Conference: 'Ambiguous Sexualities on the Eighteenth-Century Stage' organised by Dr Tom Wynn [Durham University]
Saturday 7 February 2015
Wednesday 11 February 2015
- Digital Studies Research Group: Professor Katherine Hayles 'Digital Media for the 21st Century: The Importance of Nonconscious Cognition'
- Transnationalism Research Group Roundtable Presentations
Friday 13 February 2015
Tuesday 17 February 2015
- Justice and the Arts Research Group (in conjunction with Ecologies and the Arts): Film Screening 'Life and Debt' (2011), directed by Stephanie Black
Wednesday 18 February 2015
- Professor Gerhard Lauer [Göttingen Centre for Digital Humanities]: 'Sorry, I have digitized my scholarship. Humanities in the digital age'
- Translation and Linguistics Research Group Seminar: Dr M. Rosario Martin Ruano [University of Salamanca] 'Ethics in Legal Translation: Critical Perspectives'
Thursday 19 February 2015
- Transnationalism Research Group Seminar: Professor Bryan Cheyette [Reading University] 'The Anxiety of Appropriation: Jewish/postcolonial literatures and histories'
Monday 23 February 2015
- Art Lecture at Auckland Castle: 'The Five Senses in the Art of Jusepe de Ribera' given by Dr Edward Payne [Meadows Museum, Dallas, USA]
- Inaugural Lecture: Professor John O'Brien [Durham University] 'Their Montaigne, Our Montaigne: The Essais in the Light of their Early Modern Readers'
- Spanish Art in County Durham: Dr Edward Payne [Meadows Museum, Dallas, Texas]
Tuesday 24 February 2015
- Centre for Humanities Innovation Lecture: Dr Vladimir Nikiforov 'Christianity and Russia's Attitude to the West'
Saturday 28 February 2015
- Ecologies and the Arts Research Group Symposium: 'BEYOND ALLEGORY: Medieval and Early Modern Ecologies and the Arts' organised by Dr Laura Campbell Chuhan [Durham University]
Monday 2 March 2015
- Film Show and discussion with Catalan film director Hammudi Al-Rahmoun Font 'Otel-lo (Othello)'
- IAS Emergence of Experience Lecture: Professor Katherine Hayles [Duke University] 'The emergence of nonconscious cognition'
Wednesday 4 March 2015
- Justice and the Arts Research Group (in conjunction with Ecologies and the Arts): Reading Group 'Extracts from Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything
Thursday 5 March 2015
Wednesday 11 March 2015
- Justice and the Arts Research Group: Round Table Presentations 'Outlaws: Exploring the Extra-Legal in Literature, Film, Theory, 2001-'
Tuesday 28 April 2015
- IAS Emergence in Literature Short Talks: Professor Nick Saul, Dr Claudia Nitschke, Dr Catherine Moir [Durham University]
Wednesday 29 April 2015
- Justice and the Arts Research Group Seminar: Dr Samuel Llano [Durham University] 'Sounding Marginality and Social Disorder: The Battle for Madrid's Soundscape, 1850-1930'
Wednesday 6 May 2015
- Hispanic Studies Seminar: Dr Ben Dodds [Department of History, Durham University] 'The bandit's three mothers: women and the nation in Spain in the 1930s and 1940s'
- Transnationalism Research Group Seminar: Dr Fusako Innami [University of East Anglia] 'Rethinking push and weight through Yoshiyuki and Merleau-Ponty”
Monday 11 May 2015
- IAS Emergence of Experience Lecture: Christina Howells [Oxford]:The Emergence of the Soul: Jean-Luc Nancy and the Subject of Portraiture
Thursday 14 May 2015
- CLARA FLORIO COOPER LECTURE 2015: Professor Carlo Caruso 'War, hunger, and censorship: Italian as seen through the letters of Italian PoW's in the Great War'
Tuesday 19 May 2015
- Translation and Linguistics Research Group Seminar: Rob Halpern, Associate Professor of Creative Writing 'Nonmastery and Partisanship: Some Notes on Translating Georges Perec’s Early Essays on Aesthetics and Politics'
Friday 22 May 2015
Saturday 23 May 2015
Thursday 28 May 2015
- Justice and the Arts Research Group Seminar: Professor Sanja Bahun (University of Essex) 'Ars transienti'
- Postgraduate Forum: Grant Application workshop with Dr Andy Byford and Dr Zoe Roth
Friday 29 May 2015
Wednesday 3 June 2015
- Russian Department Seminar: Professor Jan Levtchenko of Higher School of Economics (Moscow, Russian Federation) 'Resort on the Outskirts: the Prerequisites of Moscow-Tartu Semiotic School'