Current Postgraduate Students
Professor Daniel Newman, PhD London
- Forthcoming Images and Representations: Tunisian Travellers to Europe in the 19th Century, Beit al-Hikma, 365 pp.
- Forthcoming Rifa'a al-Tahtawi: A Nineteenth-Century Egyptian Educationalist and Reformer, Edinburgh University Press, 240 pp.
- 2015 (co-authored with Husni, R.) Arabic-English-Arabic Translation: Issues and Strategies, Routledge, 218 pp.
- 2014 The Sultan's Sex Potions: Arab Aphrodisiacs in the Middle Ages, Saqi Books, 208 pp.
- 2013 (co-authored with Husni, R.) A to Z of Arabic-English-Arabic Translation, Saqi Books, 314 pp.
- 2011 An Imam In Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit To France 1826-1831. Rev. 2nd ed, Saqi, 405 pp.
- 2008 (co-authored with Husni, R.) Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader - Twelve Stories by Contemporary Masters from Morocco to Iraq, Saqi Books, 296 pp.
- 2007 Arabic-English Thematic Lexicon, Routledge, 205 pp.
- 2007 (co-authored with Husni, R.) Muslim Women in Law and Society: Annotated translation of al-Tahir al-Haddad’s Imra‘tuna fi ‘l-shari'a wa 'l-mujtama', with an introduction, Routledge, 218 pp.
- 2004 An Imam in Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit to France (1826-1831), Saqi Books, 405 pp.
- 1993 (co-authored with Van der Tuin, J) Elsevier’s Dictionary of Ports and Shipping (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, German), Elsevier, 382 pp.
Chapter in book
- Forthcoming 'Arabic Travel Writing', in Das, Nandini & Youngs, Tim (eds.), The Cambridge History of Travel Writing, Cambridge University Press.
- 2017 ''Hell for horses, paradise for women': power and identity in 19th-century North African Travel Literature', in Mackenthun, Gesa, Nicolas, Andrea & Wodianka, Stephanie (eds.), Travel, Agency, and the Circulation of Knowledge, Waxmann, pp. 183-200
- 2015 'Rifa'a al-Tahtawi', in Martin, Richard C., Afsaruddin, Asma & Varisco, Daniel M. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Islam and The Muslim World, Macmillan, pp. 1178-1179
- 2015 'Translation Activity and Academies, Pre-modern Period', in Martin, Richard C., Afsaruddin, Asma & Varisco, Daniel M. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Islam and The Muslim World, Macmillan, pp. 1171-1175
- 2015 'Translation Activity, Modern Period (19th c.)', in Martin, Richard C., Afsaruddin, Asma & Varisco, Daniel M. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Islam and The Muslim World, Macmillan, pp. 1175-1183
- 2013 'The Arabic Literary Language: the Nahda (and beyond)', in Jonathan Owens (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Arabic Linguistics, Oxford University Press, pp. 472-494
- 2008 'Myths and signs of alienation between 19th-century rihlat and Europe', in Ostle, Robin (ed.), Sensibilities of the Islamic Mediterranean: Self expression in a Muslim Culture from post-classical times to the present day, I.B. Tauris, pp. 85-102
- 2005 'Contrastive Analysis of the Segments of French and Arabic', in Elgibali, A. (ed.), Investigating Arabic: Current Parameters in Analysis and Learning, Brill, pp. 185-206
- Forthcoming '19th-century Arabic Periodicals in Europe: The politics of Exile and Reformism', Abgadiyat pp. 25
- 2010 '19th-century Tunisian Travel Literature on Europe: Construction of Memory and the Other', Revue de l'Institut des Belles Lettres Arabes (IBLA) 73, pp. 175-189
- 2009 'Sulayman al-Hara’iri: an Early Tunisian Reformer', Cahiers de Tunisie LXII, pp. 11-60
- 2008 'رحلة سليمان بن صيام إلى فرنسا (عام 1852 م.): صفحة منسية في تاريخ الجزائر', Chronos 17, pp. 145-166
- 2008 'Ahmad Bey's journey to the land of the Fransis (1846)', IBLA 71, pp. 43-102
- 2008 'Egyptian Colloqual Arabic (Cairo)', Edinburgh IPA archives
- 2007 (co-authored with Husni, Ronak) 'Cultural Translation in the Age of the Nahda', Turjuman 16, pp. 63-87
- 2007 'The European Sources of the Aqwam al-Masalik fi Ma’rifat al-Mamalik', IBLA pp. 209-228
- 2002 (co-authored with Verhoeven, J) 'Frequency analysis of Arabic vowels in connected speech', Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100, pp. 77-86
- 2002 'Myths and Realities in Muslim Alterist Discourse: Arab Travellers in Europe in the Age of the Nahda (19th c.)', Chronos 6, pp. 7-76
- 2002 'The European Influence on Arabic during the Nahda Lexical Borrowing from European Languages (ta'rib) in 19th-Century Literature', Arabic Language and Literature 5, pp. 1-32
- 2002 'The phonetic status of Arabic within the worlds languages: the uniqueness of the lughat al-daad', Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100, pp. 65-75
- 2002 'Tunisian diplomatic representation in Europe in the 19th century: the controversy surrounding the establishment of Tunisian consulates in Belgium (1865-1866)', Les Cahiers de Tunisie 181, pp. 27-46
- 2001 'Arab travellers to Europe until the end of the 18th century and their accounts: historical overviews and themes', Chronos 4, pp. 7-61
- 2001 'Italy in Arabic travel literature until the end of the 19th century: cultural encounters and perceptions of the Other', Equivalences 29, pp. 197-234
- 2016 'Instrumental Studies in Arabic Phonetics', Phonetica 319, pp. 79-82
- 2016 'The Love of Strangers: What Six Muslim Students Learned in Jane Austen’s London', Los Angeles Review of Books
- 2014 'Taken for Wonder. Nineteenth-century Travel Accounts from Iran to Europe', Studies in Travel Writing 18, pp. 401-403
- 2008 'Contemporary Iraqi Fiction. An Anthology', Banipal 33, pp. 146-148
- 2007 'A War of Words: Language and Conflict in the Middle East', Holy Land Studies 6, pp. 220-222
- 2006 'Arab Muslim Minorities in the European Union: The Integration Paradigm', 4, pp. 269-348
- 2014 '2nd Annual International Conference Proceedings, Language, Literature & Linguistics (L32013), 17-18 June 2013, Singapore'.
- 2012 'Proceedings of the 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012)'.
- 1999 (co-authored with Van Campenhoudt, M) 'Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology', pp. 334
- Forthcoming (trans.). Sensual Delights of the Heart: A Tale of Mediaeval Arab Erotica . Saqi Books
- Arabic diachronic linguistics
- Arabic geographical and travel literature (with special focus on Arab travellers to Europe)
- Erotology and sexuality in the mediaeval Muslim world
- History of Translation
- The Tunisian and Egyptian Nahda movements
Indicators of Esteem
- 2014: Visiting Professor, UCLA (March-September):
- 2009: co-recipient of World Award of the President of the Republic of Tunisia for Islamic Studies:
- AHRC Peer Review College member (2009-2012):
- Member of Council, British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (2009-2012):
- Member of the Executive Committee of the University Council of Modern Languages (UCML) [2008-12]:
Arabic-English Business&Technical Translation (MA in Arabic-English and Interpreting Translation)
Arabic-English Interpreting (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
Arabic-English Legal Translation (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
Contrastive Linguistics (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
Literature of the 19th Century Arabic 'Nahda' (Year 4)
- Arabic Literature (Year 2)
- Arabic-English General Translation Practica (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
- Arabic-English translation (Year 4)
- Specialised translation (Year 4)
- Translation Theory (Year 4)
- 2010: Leverhulme Research Fellowship (£44,507) for 12 months to conduct research on "Rifa'a al-Tahtawi and the Politics of Language".
- 2008: British Academy Overseas Conference grant
- 2007: British Academy research grant (£7,500) for fieldwork relating to pharyngealisation in the Arabic dialects of Egypt, Tunisia and Oman