We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Durham University Mediation Service

Accessing the Service


Members of staff are usually referred to the service by their line manager or by Human Resources. Students are usually referred by someone who is involved in their support such as a member of staff in a College Student Support Office or via the Assistant Registrar involved in managing student complaints. In some cases, self-referral may be more appropriate.

Contact Us

University staff and students can also contact the service directly to discuss how mediation might be used to resolve the difficulties they are experiencing. Once it is determined that mediation may help to resolve the difficulties, with permission, their line manager or the member of staff involved in the support of the student, will be contacted to ensure that they are aware that a request for mediation has been received.

Following enquiries about mediation, a referral form will be completed and submitted to the Mediation Service. A copy of the referral forms can be found here: