Publication details for Bernard PiettePiette, B. & Ward, R.S. (2005). Planar Skyrmions: vibrational modes and dynamics. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena 201(1-2): 45-55.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0167-2789
- DOI: 10.1016/j.physd.2004.12.001
- Keywords: Skyrmions; Solitons; Vibrations; Scattering
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We study Skyrmion dynamics in a (2+1)-dimensional Skyrme model. The system contains a dimensionless parameter α, with α=0 corresponding to the O(3) sigma-model. If two Skyrmions collide head-on, then they can either coalesce or scatter—this depends on α and on the incident speed v, and is affected by transfer of energy to and from the internal vibrational modes of the Skyrmions. We classify these internal modes and compute their spectrum, for a range of values of α. In particular, we find that there is a fractal-like structure of scattering windows, analogous to those seen for kink–antikink scattering in 1+1 dimensions.