Publication details for Dr Matthias TroffaesTroffaes, Matthias (2009). Finite approximations to coherent choice. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning 50(4): 655-665.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0888-613X
- DOI: 10.1016/j.ijar.2008.07.001
- Keywords: Decision making, E-admissibility, Maximality, Numerical analysis, Lower prevision, Sensitivity analysis.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Other versions of this publication
- 2007: Finite approximations to coherent choice. (older version)
This paper studies and bounds the effects of approximating loss functions and credal sets on choice functions, under very weak assumptions. In particular, the credal set is assumed to be neither convex nor closed. The main result is that the effects of approximation can be bounded, although in general, approximation of the credal set may not always be practically possible. In case of pairwise choice, I demonstrate how the situation can be improved by showing that only approximations of the extreme points of the closure of the convex hull of the credal set need to be taken into account, as expected.