The outreach organisers in the department are Mr Chris Goy and Dr Ostap Hryniv.
Outreach activities in the department in 2018:
- Celebrate Science Festival 23 - 25 October 2018: A team of Maths postgrads, postdocs and staff will entertain Key Stage 2 children and their parents at this half-term annual event organised by the Science Faculty.
- Sutton Trust Summer School on 20 - 24 August 2018 to give bright students from non-privileged homes the opportunity to experience what it is like to be a student at a leading university. The residential summer school is a fantastic opportunity to find out more about applying to university, to meet some of our current students and work with the Department of Mathematical Sciences. This programme is available for gifted and talented Year 12 students from UK state-maintained schools.
- Supported Progression Assessed Summer School on 30 July- 3 August 2018 for talented students studying in the North East and Cumbria who are currently in Year 12 and considering entering university in 2018.
- Widening Participation: Problem Solving Matters 2018 on 23 June, 7 July and 3 September 2018 to develop the problem solving skills necessary for the Mathematics Admission Test and the Test of Mathematics for University Admission for year 12 students from state-funded schools, academies and colleges who are interested in applying for places at Oxford University, Imperial College, Durham University and Warwick University to study Mathematics.
- Supported Progression Easter Academy on 10 April 2018 for talented students studying in the North East and Cumbria who are currently in Year 12 and considering entering university in 2018.