Department of Mathematical Sciences
Thursday 16 February 2017 @ 4:00pm in CLC013: Collingwood Lecture 2017 by Professor Pierre Cartier (Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques, Bures-sur-Yvette).`Is there a future for the cosmic Galois group?'
Statistics Seminars: Generalized geometric distributions with reliability applications
20 March 2017 14:00 in CM221
The distribution of the number of trials until the first k consecutive successes in a sequence of Bernoulli trials with success probability p is known as geometric distribution of order k. When k=1, the distribution is the usual geometric distribution. In this talk, distributional properties of the geometric distribution of order k and its generalization called geometric distribution of order k with a reward will be presented. Applications of these distributions in some engineering reliability problems will also be mentioned.
Contact email@example.com for more information
A selection of recent grants
- Arithmetic of Automorphic Forms and Special L-Values (EPSRC First Grant, Thanasis Bouganis)
- Cluster algebras, Coxeter groups and hyperbolic manifolds (EPSRC, Anna Felikson)
- Particles, Fields and Spacetime (STFC, Simon Ross)
- New homotopy-type invariants of knots (EPSRC, Andrew Lobb)
- Photospheric Driving of Non-Potential Coronal Magnetic Field Simulations (US Air Force, Anthony Yeates)
- SPOCK: Scientific Properties Of Complex Knots (Leverhulme Trust Research Programme Grant, Paul Sutcliffe)
- Karagiannis, G., Konomi, B., Lin, G. & Liang, F. (2017). Parallel and Interacting Stochastic Approximation Annealing algorithms for global optimisation. Statistics and Computing 27(4): 927-945.
- Rodrigues, Luiz Felippe S., Vernon, Ian & Bower, Richard G (2017). Constraints on galaxy formation models with the galaxy stellar mass function and its evolution. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 466(2): 2418-2435.
- Bourne, D.P., Conti, S. & Mueller, S. (2017). Energy Bounds for a Compressed Elastic Film on a Substrate. Journal of Nonlinear Science 27(2): 453-494.
- Yeates, A. R. (2017). Sparse reconstruction of electric fields from radial magnetic data. The Astrophysical Journal 836(1): 131.
- Blake, M. & Donos, A. (2017). Diffusion and chaos from near AdS2 horizons. Journal of High Energy Physics 2017(2): 13.
Durham DH1 3LE
Explore the frontiers of knowledge