Department of Mathematical Sciences
Thursday 16 February 2017 @ 4:00pm in CLC013: Collingwood Lecture 2017 by Professor Pierre Cartier (Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques, Bures-sur-Yvette).`Is there a future for the cosmic Galois group?'
Applied Mathematics Seminars: The Rigidity Problem for Symmetrization Inequalities
17 February 2017 14:00 in CM105
We will discuss several symmetrizations (Steiner, Ehrhard, and spherical symmetrization) that are known not to increase the perimeter. We will show how it is possible to characterize those sets whose perimeter remains unchanged under symmetrization. We will also characterize rigidity of equality cases. By rigidity, we mean the situation when those sets whose perimeter remains unchanged under symmetrization, are trivially obtained through a rigid motion of the (Steiner, Ehrhard or spherical) symmetral. We will achieve this through the introduction of a suitable measure-theoretic notion of connectedness, and through a fine analysis of the barycenter function for a special class of sets. These results are obtained together with several collaborators (Maria Colombo, Guido De Philippis, Francesco Maggi, Matteo Perugini, Dominik Stoger).
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
This seminar series is the continuation of the Numerical Analysis Seminar series that ran until August 2016. This change of name reflects the broader interests of the Applied Mathematics group (note that the Mathematical and Theoretical Particle Physics group also has a seminar series).
A selection of recent grants
- Arithmetic of Automorphic Forms and Special L-Values (EPSRC First Grant, Thanasis Bouganis)
- Cluster algebras, Coxeter groups and hyperbolic manifolds (EPSRC, Anna Felikson)
- Particles, Fields and Spacetime (STFC, Simon Ross)
- New homotopy-type invariants of knots (EPSRC, Andrew Lobb)
- Photospheric Driving of Non-Potential Coronal Magnetic Field Simulations (US Air Force, Anthony Yeates)
- SPOCK: Scientific Properties Of Complex Knots (Leverhulme Trust Research Programme Grant, Paul Sutcliffe)
- Karagiannis, G., Konomi, B., Lin, G. & Liang, F. (2017). Parallel and Interacting Stochastic Approximation Annealing algorithms for global optimisation. Statistics and Computing 27(4): 927-945.
- Rodrigues, Luiz Felippe S., Vernon, Ian & Bower, Richard G (2017). Constraints on galaxy formation models with the galaxy stellar mass function and its evolution. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 466(2): 2418-2435.
- Bourne, D.P., Conti, S. & Mueller, S. (2017). Energy Bounds for a Compressed Elastic Film on a Substrate. Journal of Nonlinear Science 27(2): 453-494.
- Yeates, A. R. (2017). Sparse reconstruction of electric fields from radial magnetic data. The Astrophysical Journal 836(1): 131.
- Blake, M. & Donos, A. (2017). Diffusion and chaos from near AdS2 horizons. Journal of High Energy Physics 2017(2): 13.
Durham DH1 3LE
Explore the frontiers of knowledge