Marketing and Communications
Welcome to the University Marketing and Communications Hub where you can find out about support availability, templates, training and becoming part of the Marketing and Communications network.
The Marketing and Communications Office sits within the Professional Support Services division.
Our office is made up of two main teams (Marketing and Communications) with experience across a wide range of sectors, disciplines and areas of marketing and communications. We recognise that we are not experts in every area which is why we have a framework of external specialist partners to draw upon, and are open to contracting in additional specialists if the need arises.
What we do...
The Marketing and Communications Office is responsible for:
- Supporting senior management in achieving the aims and objectives outlined within the University Marketing Strategy
- Brand and brand positioning development and the production of toolkits required for its implementation across the organisation
- Reputation Management including crisis comms
- Development of corporate-level internal communication and student recruitment campaigns
- Managing the University's owned marketing and communications channels including website, corporate social media channels, including its presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn including the University's courses database
- Market intelligence gathering and research
- Management of the Communications, Design and Print Framework partners
- Instilling and communicating good marketing and communications practice across the University.
Durham University’s marketing and communications team has been named as the region’s finest public relations team, sweeping up four prestigious industry awards that celebrate “exceptional talent”.
The team, who were praised by the judges for delivering “excellent services” in promoting the University internationally, won two Gold and two Silver awards at the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) awards ceremony in Newcastle on Friday (4 December).
As well as winning Gold for ‘Outstanding In-House Team’, the team won Gold in the Best Use of Media Relations Category for General Election Unspun, a successful campaign to profile Durham University’s expertise internationally during the UK’s general election.
The team won two Silver awards in the Best Healthcare and Best Public Sector campaign categories, for ‘Blowing the Whistle’ – a football-themed campaign to highlight the UK’s health inequalities.
The award judges praised the team’s professionalism in publicising the University’s research to global audiences, summarising: “Durham University is a team that knows its purpose and has clearly defined objectives.
“The judges were impressed by the innovative campaign idea implemented to drive interest beyond normal audiences.
“The team has shown significant success at home and abroad while making time for professional development to continue to deliver excellent services. A worthy winner.”
The CIPR’s PRide Awards North East are billed as a “celebration of exceptional talent and a reflection of public relations best practice”.
Claire Whitelaw, Deputy Director of Marketing and Communications, said: “This is a tremendous team effort and the result of a lot of hard work, creativity and initiative by the marketing and communications team and the academic staff with whom we work. We are very proud of our success.”