Reservations and Recalls
How do I reserve a book?
Please note: only books that are ON LOAN can be reserved.
1. Find the book in the Library Catalogue.
2. Click on the reserve button.
3. Enter your details when prompted.
4. Click on REQUEST SELECTED ITEM. (select only one copy)
5 You will be emailed when the book is ready to be collected.
6. You can pick up and borrow the book from the bright yellow reservation shelf in the short loan area. You have 3 days to collect the item from receiving the email.
You can cancel a reservation if you no longer need an item. Go to your library record, follow the link to view your reservations and you will find two buttons allowing reservations to be cancelled.
If you receive a recall:
- An item that you have out on loan may be recalled at any time by other library users (this includes vacations)
- You will receive a recall notice via your Durham University email account that will include your new due date (if you wish to be notified by post please let us know). If a three day loan item is reserved by another user you will not be able to renew it.
- You will have 7 days in which to return your book to the library from where you borrowed it. A 3-day loan item should be returned immediately.
- Any recalled items not returned by their new due date will receive a fine of £1 per day.
- If you are unable to return an item in person, items may be returned by post, but please obtain a proof of posting receipt.
- If you have any doubts about your ability to return a recalled item if you are going to be away from the university for a period of time, please return it before you go.
If you have any problems returning an item please contact the relevant Library.
Using Books from the Reservation Shelf
Once a book has been reserved for a reader its status changes to 'Hold shelf'. You may consult books held for other on the yellow Reservation shelves which are located in the Short Loan Collection in the Bill Bryson Library, or by asking at a service point in the other libraries. Books must be consulted in designated areas of the Library as indicated by library staff. Reserved books may only be borrowed by the person who has reserved them.
Information on this page relates to the 2018-19 academic year