Reservations and Recalls
You may "reserve" an item which is on loan to someone else or not available on the shelf. Please remember:
- You will need your Campus Card to place a reservation
- You will be notified when a requested book becomes available
- Books requested from Queen's Campus in Stockton can be picked up at Bill Bryson Library or Leazes Road Library
- Heavy demand for books could result in extra copies being purchased
- If a long loan item has more than one reservation, you will only be able to borrow it for 3 days.
- Please only place a reservation if you will be able to collect it.
- You can cancel a reservation if you no longer need an item, and this will make the item available for the next person who needs it. Go to your library record, follow the link to view your reservations and you will find two buttons allowing reservations to be cancelled.
- For further information on how to place a reservation please see the Catalogue Help Pages.
Placing a Reservation
If the book you want is on loan:
- Check the location
- If you need to have a book transferred between one of the Durham Libraries (Bill Bryson Library or Leazes Road Library) and Queen's Campus Library, Stockton please use the 'Request item inter-site' link at the bottom of the full item record, or complete the online inter-site loan request form
- Use the Library Catalogue to find the record for the book you want, select the Reserve button and follow the instructions.
- Once you receive notification that your book is available, please collect it from the library's collection service point within 3 days.
If the book you want is not on loan, but you can't find it on the shelf:
- Check the reshelving point or trolley on that floor
- If still not found, ask at a service point or Enquiries desk
If you receive a recall:
- An item that you have out on loan may be recalled at any time by other library users (this includes vacations)
- You will receive a recall notice via your Durham University email account that will include your new due date (if you wish to be notified by post please let us know). If a three day loan item is reserved by another user you will not be able to renew it.
- You will have 7 days in which to return your book to the library from where you borrowed it. A 3-day loan item should be returned immediately.
- Any recalled items not returned by their new due date will receive a fine of £1 per day.
- If you are unable to return an item in person, items may be returned by post, but please obtain a proof of posting receipt.
- If you have any doubts about your ability to return a recalled item if you are going to be away from the university for a period of time, please return it before you go.
If you have any problems returning an item please contact the relevant Library.
Using Books from the Reservation Shelf
Once a book has been reserved for a reader its status changes to 'Hold shelf'. You can consult books held for other readers by consulting them from the yellow Reservation shelves which are located in the Short Loan Collection in the Bill Bryson Library, or by asking at a service point in the other libraries. Books must be consulted in designated areas of the Library as indicated by library staff.
Information on this page relates to the 2017-18 academic year