DRO is this University's institutional repository. It contains records about Durham's research outputs - journal articles, conference and working papers, book chapters and reports - and a version of the full-text if copyright agreements permit.
Most publishers do not permit published versions to be made freely available. But many do allow authors to deposit their final accepted peer-reviewed manuscripts, although open access may be delayed by an embargo period (eg 6-24 months).
Manuscripts may lack the polish of the published version, but the content ought to be the same. Readers are interested in content. If they don't have subscription access to the journal your article is in or can't buy or borrow your book, free access to the manuscript in DRO is very welcome.
NOTE: Deposit in DRO could be the simplest way to meet the REF2020 open access eligibility requirements. Begin the deposit process by creating a record in the Staff Profile system. See the DRO Deposit Guide for further instructions.
Authors deposit their final accepted peer-reviewed manuscripts in either an institutional or subject repository. Open access may be delayed by an embargo period (eg 6-24 months). Requires no additional payment to the publisher.
Usually requires payment of an Article Processing Charge (APC) to the publisher. Published version is then made freely available to everyone from publisher's own website and without embargo.
Many 'traditional' journals which used to be subscription-only, now offer a Gold open access option. The result is a hybrid journal where some articles are open access and some only available to subscribers. Good news: not all journals charge an APC for Gold open access. Try searching the Directory of Open Access Journals to find those which don't.
- Create a Staff Profile record describing your output
- Attach the final accepted peer-reviewed manuscript to the record
- ONLY attach the published version if an Article Processing Charge (APC) has been paid for Gold open access or your copyright agreement permits its use
- DRO Deposit Guide (PDF)
- DRO Deposit Guide (PowerPoint) - if it opens in ‘Edit’ mode, select ‘Slide Show’ -> ‘From Beginning’ or press F5
- REF flyer (PDF)
- DRO flyer (PDF)
- Staff Profile System (Login) - then select 'My profile' -> 'Edit publications' -> 'Add publication'
- Summary of key open access policies (PDF)
- DRO Team Email or Phone 41586