The Library provides access to wide range of print and online reference material.
Printed reference material for each subject is housed on the same floor as its main collection. This reference material is non-borrowable and may only be used in the Library.
The Library also has access to a wide range of online reference resources, which includes directories, encyclopaedias, and both subject and language dictionaries. Access to these resources is through the Online Reference page and they are available to users both on and off campus.
Examples of specialist reference works for Medicine include:
- Black's medical dictionary, 40th ed. (2002)
- Dorland's illustrated medical dictionary, 30th ed. (2003)
- Dictionary of medical acronyms & abbreviations, 5th ed. (2005)
- The new dictionary of medical ethics (1997)
- MedTerms.com Medical Dictionary (Online)
- MediLexicon (Online)
- Mondofacto (Online)
- The Oxford illustrated companion to medicine, 3rd ed. (2001)
- Encyclopedia of stress (Online)
- Encyclopedia of cancer, 2nd ed. (2002)
- MEDLINEplus Health Information (Online)
Handbooks & Directories
- Medical directory, 164th ed. (2009)
- Binley's directory of NHS management (2008- )
- Directory of organisations in allied and complementary health care (2000)
- British National Formulary (eBNF) (Online)