Durham University Library provides study rooms for the sole use of University members registered with Disability Support.
Bill Bryson Library : There are four DS Rooms on Level 1 in the West Wing of the Bill Bryson Library.
ISC Library : Room D236 in the Library, on Level 2 of the Ebsworth Building.
Booking a DS Room
To guarantee access, you need to book online. Bookings can be made up to two weeks in advance.
You can contact the Help and Information Desk at either the Bill Bryson Library or ISC Library if you need help with booking a room.
Bill Bryson Library: 0191 334 3042
ISC Library: 0191 334 0270
To be fair to all users, we take bookings for up to four hours and do not allow consecutive bookings.
What is in the DS Rooms?
In addition to a private work environment, the DS rooms provide the following.
Bill Bryson Library
|Height adjustable desk||Yes||Yes|
|Angle poise lamps||Yes||No|
|Hand held magnifiers*||Yes||Yes|
|Networked PC with 22" screen||Yes||Yes (x 2)|
* Hand held magnifiers can be issued at the Help and Information Desk at each library.
The PC in DS Room 2 in the Bill Bryson Library has the following assistive software installed:
- Text Help Read and Write – word prediction and spell check tool
- Inspiration – visual organising and thinking tool
- JAWS for Windows – text to speech software
- Mind View – mind mapping software
- Dragon naturally speaking – speech recognition sofware (please contact the IT Service Desk to set up access with Dragon and users will need to provide their own headset)
This software will also be installed at ISC in due course, when a review of services is completed.
If you want to use the Study Room in the Bill Bryson Library during self-service opening hours, you can do so provided it is booked in advance.
Information on this page relates to the 2019-20 academic year