Services and facilities
Services are available at all libraries in the University 09.00 - 17.00 Monday to Friday.
We aim to offer a personal service to each student. This might include any of the following.
- Adjustments to standard loan periods
- Checking your reading list on the library catalogue for or with you
- One-to-one assistance and inductions
- Accompanying you to the relevant section of the Library, and familiarising you with the contents and layout
- Retrieving material from the shelves
- Retrieving items from other library sites
- Photocopying/scanning for students who have physical or visual difficulties
- Providing reading material in alternative formats by request
- Allocating a member of the library staff to you to be your personal contact
- Access to the Disability Support (DS) study rooms available in the Bill Bryson Library and ISC Library
Please let us know what support you require, and we will endeavour to assist you. If you have a support worker who requires Library and IT access, this is possible and should be arranged through Disability Support. If Library reference access is needed they can apply for a visitor campus card at the Library help and information desk.
As far as is reasonably possible, the above services will also be available during evening and weekend staffed hours, but due to reduced levels of staffing during these periods we are not able to guarantee that a personal service can be given to each student. If you require assistance and you can only use the library outside these hours, please contact us in advance.
During the vacation there will be some times when there are reduced levels of staffing - please check with the appropriate library in advance if you need any personal assistance.
Information on access to all locations of Durham University Library can be found on the page about physical access for users with disabilities.