8.1.2: The Research Environment
1. The University will only accept research students into academic departments where it is confident that students can be trained and supported within an environment which is supportive of research.
2. The University defines such an environment as one where facilities and equipment necessary to enable students to complete their research programmes successfully are available, and where an academic department or school:
- has been successful in the University Review Process;
- is able to demonstrate significant international research excellence as judged by a national or international assessment process e.g. RAE, REF)
- where staff, including post-doctoral researchers, and research students provide a robust, invigorating and sustainable research community;
- has suitable academic staff who are available to act as supervisors;
- has acceptable submission and completion rates in line with Research Council guidelines.