We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Learning and Teaching Handbook

2.6.2: Students not in good standing

1. Students who have left a degree programme because of academic failure are regarded as being 'not in good standing'. Those who have left a programme of study of their own volition and not because of failure are still in 'good standing'.

2. Permission for a student who is not in good standing to register for study in a new degree programme is not a right. A concession must be sought. Under no circumstances should a student be given to understand that the granting of the concession will be automatic. Such concessions will not normally be considered in respect of students who have been required to leave Durham or any other university for disciplinary reasons rather than because of academic failure or where disciplinary issues have been associated with academic failure.

3. The concession for a student who is currently registered as a student at Durham, has failed his/her assessments for the year, cannot progress in his/her current programme of study and wishes to transfer directly to another degree programme should be an ordinary concession (not a matriculation concession). The concession will be handled by the college of which the student is a member and by the chair of the relevant Faculty Education Committee for the faculty in which he/she has been studying in consultation with the relevant Faculty Education Committee chair for the faculty to which he/she wishes to transfer.

4. The concession for a student who has failed his/her assessments in a programme of study at another university and wishes to transfer to a degree programme at Durham or for a former Durham student who has left the University and spent time away since failing his/her original degree will be a matriculation concession. All such students must apply through UCAS. These applications are treated in the usual way but with the requirement that a matriculation concession is sought.

5. The following guidelines will apply to the consideration of concessions from students not in Good Standing:

a. Concessions will not usually be granted to an existing Durham student who is not in good standing unless the student will begin an entirely new programme from Level 1 so that there is no overlap of modules with his/her previous programme. Such a student will normally be someone who has initially chosen entirely the wrong programme of study but is fully able to cope with academic study in the right subject area. This process is not intended to redeem students who have failed one or two modules in their chosen programme. Credit will not be given in the new programme of study to such students for modules taken and passed in their original programme; it will be expected that the student will take the new programme in its entirety from Level 1.

b. Students from other universities who wish to enter Durham on this basis will be expected to start the relevant programme at Durham from Level 1 and to take all the Level 1 modules. Such students may enter any programme of study at Durham (including one in the same subject area as their original programme of study elsewhere) but will not be eligible for APL in respect of modules from the programme within which they have failed. (Standard APL procedures are available for students who wish to transfer from another university where they are in good standing; this procedure does not apply to them.)

c. Consideration will be given to evidence of the student's academic ability and of a positive attitude to study during the time already spent at Durham or his/her other previous university. If a Durham college raising a concession for an existing student wishes to comment on the student's attitude and behaviour while in residence this may be taken into account.

d. Consideration will be given to any mitigating circumstances in respect of the original failure.

e. In respect of students applying for entry through UCAS following study at another university, a reference should be obtained from that university; this may include a transcript. This may be presented with the UCAS form; if it is not, obtaining such a reference will normally be the responsibility of the department to which the student is applying so that an academic judgement can be made about the application.

f. The department into which the student wishes to enter must be satisfied with his/her entry qualifications and other evidence of his/her attitude to study in the new subject area, and have a place available. Such a department is under no obligation to take the student. Equally such a department may not offer the student a place: this is a matter for the chair of the relevant Faculty Education Committee to take into account when considering the concession.

g. If a Durham student fails and leaves the University but re-applies for another programme of study at a later date, he/she will require a concession as above if he/she reapplies within the next 5 years but once that period has elapsed his/her failure shall not be taken into account and any application will be considered in the normal way.