Publication details for Professor Mathias SiemsSiems, Mathias, Herzog, Leif & Rosenhäger, Erik (2011). The Protection of Creditors of a European Private Company (SPE). European Business Organization Law Review 12(1): 147-172.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1566-7529, 1741-6205
- DOI: 10.1017/S1566752911100051
- Keywords: European Private Company, Societas Privata Europaea, Creditor protection, Regulatory competition.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Soon we can expect a new type of company: the European Private Company (Societas Privata Europaea – SPE) aimed at small and medium-sized enterprises in the EU. In this article, we analyse how creditors of future SPEs will be protected. In the first part, we identify on a general level how creditors can be protected. Then we turn to the tools used in the different draft versions of an SPE statute (Commission Draft, EP Draft and Presidency Compromise). As these do not cover all aspects of creditor protection, the next part examines how these gaps ought to be filled. Subsequently, we discuss whether, from a normative perspective, creditor protection in the EU should be further harmonised. Overall, we conclude that what emerges is a mixed picture between various levels of European and national rules. This may not be ideal but it may be the price worth paying in order to reach political agreement on SPE law.