Publication details for Professor Thom BrooksBrooks, Thom (2015). Alcohol and Controlling Risks through Nudges. The New Bioethics 21(1): 46-55.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2050-2877, 2050-2885
- DOI: 10.1179/2050287715Z.00000000064
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This article examines the relation of risks and public policy through the lens of alcohol and crime. Alcohol thus lives a double-life as a fountain of celebration while also a wellspring of potentially serious harms. The issue of how risks might be managed much better is approached through considering three different arenas within the criminal law concluding that it is a crude mechanism for grappling with complex issues of criminal responsibility for any higher risks associated with becoming under the influence. The article defends the use of nudges as an under explored area for public policy decision-making and proposes new policies based on them.