Publication details for Professor Thom BrooksBrooks, Thom (2014). Beyond Retribution. Think 13(38): 47-50.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1477-1756, 1755-1196
- DOI: 10.1017/S1477175614000037
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Retribution enjoys an unwarranted appeal from the public and its politicians. This is because it is impractical and perhaps even incoherent. This does not mean that we should reject the importance of morality for criminal justice nor should we reject the link between desert and proportionality. Nevertheless, we can reject the way retribution has understood these ideas in defense of a more plausible and compelling alternative.