Publication details for Professor Thom BrooksBrooks, Thom (2013). In Defence of Political Theory: Impact and Opportunities. Political Studies Review 11(2): 209-215.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1478-9299
- DOI: 10.1111/1478-9302.12007
- Keywords: Higher education, Impact, Political thought, Public policy, Stakeholding.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This essay will present the impact that political theory has made and the opportunities for future contributions. It will consider the contributions made by leading political theorists to policy debates, the lessons learned from their successes, and how political theorists might further pursue existing and new opportunities to develop impact. The discussion will close with consideration of several potential threats that theorists should become more aware of in order to best avoid them. The growing importance of impact in British higher education policy represents important challenges that may help promote the field of political theory. Political theorists should welcome these developments.