Dr Ronán Feehily
Dr Ronán Feehily is Honorary Fellow of Commercial Law at Durham University. He originally joined Durham Law School as a Lecturer in Commercial law, lecturing Trusts and Equity to LLB students and International Commercial Dispute Resolution to LLM students as well as serving as Deputy Chair of the LLM Board of Examiners and Admissions Officer for the LLM programme. He previously lectured at a number of institutions and practiced as a commercial lawyer with a large commercial law firm and as in-house legal counsel with a global technology company.
Dr Feehily completed degrees in commerce and law at the National University of Ireland, Galway, a postgraduate diploma in arbitration at University College Dublin, a Masters degree in law at Trinity College Dublin and a postgraduate certificate in academic practice at Durham University. He also completed a Masters in Business Administration at the Graduate Business School, University College Dublin following the completion of his PhD in commercial law at the University of Cape Town.
Dr Feehily is a qualified solicitor in Ireland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales and is a CEDR Accredited Mediator. He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. In addition to lecturing on the International Commercial Dispute Resolution LLB and LLM Modules, Dr Feehily is Associate Professor with Middlesex University at their Mauritius campus, where he is currently coordinator of the first LLM (commercial law) on the island.
• Ronán Feehily, ‘Costs Sanctions; the Critical Instrument in the Development of Commercial Mediation in South Africa’, South African Law Journal (Volume 126, Issue 2, 2009, pp. 291-315).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘The Legal Status and Enforceability of Mediated Settlement Agreements’, Hibernian Law Journal (Volume 12, Number 1, 2013, pp. 1-26).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘The Role of the Commercial Mediator in the Mediation Process; A Critical Analysis of the Legal and Regulatory Issues’, South African Law Journal (Volume 132, Issue 2, 2015, pp 372-410).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘Confidentiality in Commercial Mediation; A Fine Balance’, Part I, Journal of South African Law/Tydskrif vir die Suid-Afrikaanse Reg (Issue 3, 2015, pp 516-536).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘Commercial Mediation: Commercial Conflict Panacea or an Affront to Due Process and the Justice Ideal’, The Comparative and International Law Journal of Southern Africa (Volume 48, Issue 2, 2015, pp 317-357).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘Confidentiality in Commercial Mediation; A Fine Balance’, Part II, Journal of South African Law/Tydskrif vir die Suid-Afrikaanse Reg (Issue 4, 2015, pp 719-737).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘The Role of the Lawyer in the Mediation Process; A Critical Analysis of the Legal and Regulatory Issues’, South African Law Journal (Volume 133, Issue 2, 2016, pp 351-387).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘The Certainty of Settlement’, Stellenbosch Law Review (Volume 27, Issue 1, 2016, pp 25-58).
• Ronán Feehily, ‘The Contractual Certainty of Commercial Agreements to Mediate in Ireland’, Irish Journal of Legal Studies (Volume 6, Issue 1, 2016, pp 59-105).
Dr Feehily's research interests are primarily in the commercial field, focusing in particular on alternative commercial dispute resolution and corporate governance. He has published a number of articles in academic and professional journals dealing specifically with commercial mediation. Dr Feehily is also an International Advisory and Peer-reviewer Board Member of the International Journal of Law and Politics and the Frontiers of Legal Research Journal.
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution (LLB)
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution (LLM)