Professor William Lucy
William arrived at Durham Law School in summer 2012, having previously been a Professor at the Law School, University of Manchester. Before that he had held chairs at Cardiff University, Keele University and the University of Hull Law School (where he was almost the inaugural HK Bevan Professor of Law). He holds an undergraduate degree in law and postgraduate degrees in jurisprudence and in political philosophy. He teaches mainly private law subjects and legal philosophy and has supervised a number of doctoral students in these fields. These are also the principal fields in which he publishes, his two main monographs so far being Understanding and Explaining Adjudication (Oxford: Clarendon Press 1999) and Philosophy of Private Law (Oxford: Clarendon Press 2007), neither of which is as expensive as you might think. He has held visiting posts at a number of Universities, including most recently the TC Beirne School of Law, University of Queensland, Brisbane, the College of Law, Australian National University, Canberra, and the Faculty of Law, McGill University, Montreal. In January 2014 William was the Rt. Hon. John Turner Fellow in Public Law at the Law School, University of Western Ontario. For Michaelmas term 2014, William was a Sir Neil MacCormick Visiting Fellow at Edinburgh Law School, University of Edinburgh.
- 2013: Law's Abstract Judgement (£77686.00 from The Leverhulme Trust)
Book chapters: online
- Lucy, William (2013). Private and Public: Some Banalities About a Platitude. In After Public Law. Mac Amhlaigh, C., Michelon, C. & Walker, N. Oxford University Press. 56-82.
- Lucy, W. (2014). The Rule of Law and Private Law. In Private Law and the Rule of Law. Austin, Lisa M. & Klimchuk, Dennis Oxford University Press. 41-66.
- Lucy, W (2008). Judges, distinguished. In Oxford Companion to Law. Cane, P. & Conaghan, J. OUP. 649-651.
Edited works: contributions
- Lucy, W. (2009). What's Private about Private Law?. In Goals of Private Law. Robertson, A. & Tang, H.W. Oxford: Hart Publishing. 47-75.
Journal papers: academic
- Lucy, W (2011). Equality Under and Before the Law. University of Toronto Law Journal 61(3): 411-465.
- Lucy, W (2009). Abstraction and Equality. Current Legal Problems 62(1): 22-70.
- Lucy, W. (2009). Abstraction and the Rule of Law. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 29(3): 481-509.
- Lucy, W (2009). Persons in Law. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 29(4): 787-804.
- Lucy, W. (2007). Method and Fit: Two Problems for Contemporary Philosophies of Tort Law. McGill Law Journal 52(4): 605-656.