Beyond Durham University - wider community engagement
As a University community, we aspire to bring jobs, innovation and prosperity to the areas in which we are based and beyond. A recent major independent study by BiGGAR Economics revealed just how important the University is to Durham City, North East England and the UK as a whole in terms of its positive cultural, social and economic contribution. Key findings of this report include:
- Durham University is worth £1.1 billion a year to the UK economy and supports 13,660 jobs – including more than £600 million and 10,330 jobs in North East England;
- For every £1 Durham University receives in funding, it generates £3.21 for the UK economy;
- The University has launched 25 spin out companies since 1997, supporting nearly 1,000 jobs. Examples include Kromek, P2i and Ikon Science;
- The University plays a crucial role in the tourism sector, attracting 231,270 people to its visitor attractions, including Palace Green Library, the Oriental Museum and the Botanic Garden, in 2014-15;
- Durham University students dedicate 14,000 hours a year to volunteering, including in many local schools and clubs;
- Research and Knowledge Transfer activities at the University generate £139.3m GVA for the UK economy, supporting 2,700 jobs. Examples include collaborations with Procter and Gamble, IBM and Ørsted (was Dong Energy).
As part of our University Strategy 2017-2027, we are committed to building on this significant wider community engagement. We would welcome any new ideas and initiatives you may have upon joining us.
Staff volunteering and outreach
As well as encouraging our students to volunteer, we run one of the UK’s leading Employer Supported Volunteering programmes, offering our staff the opportunity to volunteer for up to five days a year in work time.
Since the programme was launched in 2010, over 900 individual staff have volunteered, including our Vice-Chancellor Professor Stuart Corbridge, and we have supported another 250 volunteers from external partners.
Over 100 local charities are registered with us and every year we deliver over 50 team challenge days for our staff, plus others for outside groups.