Assistant Professor in Political Theory
Founded in 2004, the School of Government and International Affairs has gone from strength to strength. Enjoying a reputation for producing world-class research by our dynamic academic body, 71% of our outputs were deemed to be internationally excellent or world-leading, while demand for places on our undergraduate and postgraduate courses is consistently high. With a focus on issues of liberty, equality or justice in post-1900 political theory, you will be supported to engage in internationally excellent research including working collaboratively (both within and externally to the University) and be supported with a research allowance and periods of research leave. You will provide an exceptional level of education to our undergraduate and postgraduate students, allowing the opportunity to shape the scope of our programmes of study for the future.
Vacancy Reference: SGIA18-11
Download the full job description as a PDF.
- A good first degree and a PhD in Politics or a closely cognate subject, with a clear research focus on political theory.
- A three-year research plan, with evidence of how you will generate income for these studies and your intended impact.
- Proof of previous impactful research that was deemed to be of world-class standards.
- Excellent teaching capabilities, supported by HEA fellowship (or the ability to achieve this status).
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to guide early career researchers and research groups, and supervise PhD students.
Candidates who have recently completed their PhD but don’t have the relevant experience are encouraged to apply for this position at grade 7 if they feel they have the potential to achieve our high standards.
How to apply
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.