Assistant Professor in Philosophy (Social Science and/or Ethics)
With an outstanding reputation for excellence in teaching, research and the employability of our students, the Department of Philosophy is one of the UK’s best. Our distinctive research environment encourages a diversity of interests and approaches - from Anglo-American, to ‘Continental’, to non-Western philosophy - and benefits from an exceptionally high level of funding and collaboration. An impressive philosopher with demonstrable interests in the philosophy of social science, you will enjoy an exciting opportunity to make a major contribution to the further development of outstanding research and excellent, research-led teaching.
Vacancy Reference: PHIL18-12
Download the full job description as a PDF.
- A good first-degree, complemented by a PhD in Philosophy (either completed, or currently in progress).
- The ability to produce world-class research in the field of the philosophy of social science, including a research plan which supports the activities of the department.
- Proof that you have contributed to research groups, mentoring early career researchers.
- The confidence to supervise PhD students.
- To be willing to develop successful research project proposals, with the scope to secure funding or generate income.
- Experience of delivering high-quality teaching in lectures and smaller study groups, with the ability to attain fellowship of the HEA.
- Confident leadership and communication skills, with the willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team.
If you haven’t specifically met the above criteria but have recently completed or are concluding your PhD and feel you have the skills needed to do so, then you are invited to apply for the role at grade 7.
How to apply
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.