Professor in Italian Studies
Based in one of the UK’s largest and most successful Schools of Modern Languages, you will relish our collaborative, interdisciplinary environment. Italian Studies at Durham is consistently ranked second in all major national league tables. All of our Italian Studies staff are actively engaged in research and publication. They benefit from strong international ties with the scholarly community and have received major research funding grants from a host of sources in Britain, Italy and the USA. You will make a pivotal contribution to our culture of outstanding teaching and personal development, across both the graduate and undergraduate communities. As a key member of one or more of our many vibrant research groups, you will benefit from extensive support as you pursue world-class research. This will include opportunities to attend national and international conferences. All of these advantages will deepen your ability to provide truly exceptional teaching which is based, orientated or led by research.
Vacancy Reference: MLAC18-3
Download the full job description as a PDF.
- A good first-degree, complemented by a PhD in Italian Studies or a related subject.
- A track record of producing world-leading research, including a research plan which supports and enhances the activities of the department.
- A proven ability to lead national or international research groups and networks, and to mentor early career researchers.
- Experience of contributing significantly to the development of PhD programmes and the recruitment and excellent supervision of PhD students.
- Ideas to develop successful research project proposals, with the scope to secure funding or generate income and potential to make a far-reaching impact.
- Experience of leading and delivering high-quality and distinctive teaching in fluent English and Italian across lectures and in smaller study groups, with HEA status.
- Confident leadership and communication skills, with the willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team.
How to apply
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.