Assistant Professor in Pure Mathematics
This post offers an exciting opportunity to make a major contribution to the development of the Department’s research and teaching, in which your pure mathematics knowledge will prove a valuable addition to our capabilities. With your research reflecting the interests of the department (such as representation theory, including related algebraic geometry and number theory), you will seek to have it published in journals of international significance, sourcing funding and sharing your work with the supportive and enthusiastic Pure Mathematics research unit. You will also supervise PhD students and provide an exceptional education to the student body, in tutorials, seminars and lectures, using technology and other relevant techniques to ensure they achieve the highest standards.
Vacancy Reference: MATH18-4
Download the full job description as a PDF.
- A good first degree and a PhD in Pure Mathematics (or a related subject).
- The ability to adapt your high-quality teaching to groups of various sizes including tutorials and lectures. This will be supported by your fellowship of the HEA, or ability to attain this rank.
- Research excellence in the field of representation theory, including related algebraic geometry and number theory.
- Evidence of research outputs that have world-class potential.
- A cohesive research plan that details the scope and potential impact of your work, plus income generation possibilities. This should support the department’s research priorities.
- The ability to mentor PhD students, plus guide research groups and early career researchers.
How to apply
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.